Anybody Fishing Yellow Creek in Bedford Co.?

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

Before the pandemic shut my travel down when I could make it to PA my "home water" was Yellow Creek. In fact, I brought my biggest wild brown to hand there two years ago. (Released her and retired the deadly wooly bugger I fooled her with to my "Lucky Fishin' Hat...)

I've never fished that creek in the winter. The last time I was in PA in the winter there was a lot of snow. I didn't have 4WD so I was worried that I'd get a car get down in there and be stuck.

So I was wondering, does Yellow Creek FFO get fished in the winter? Is it safely and easily accessible by 4WD in winter?

Have you fished "The Loysburg Gap" in the winter? How'd ya do?

Doggone it, I miss PA...

Haven't been there yet this year.
Usually start going out mid to late february.
Have seen some nice BWO hatches start up then

As for snow: it would have been no problem the last two winters, when we had a lot less of it than normal.
But yeah, could be a problem getting back into that lot this year.

There are other spots to fish downstream where you could park close to the water.
And it's all good - although the water outside the FFO area closes from March 1, until opening day.

I've fished the Gap area a few times in warmer weather, when the sulphers are on.
Found a few rising here and there, but it's not my cup of tea.
Mostly pocket water.

Not long ago, somebody (Swattie)?put up a map on the site that showed the current snow levels in the state.
That should be a big help this time of year

Keep in mind the new regulations when approved trout waters close this year, sooner then March 1st.

I just got the first vaccine shot today. I have an appt. in 4 weeks to get the second.

I'm hoping immunizations and following CDC guidelines will allow me to safely make it to PA in May this year, so snow won't be an issue.

I'd sure like to be up there wetting a line right now though... snow or no snow...

Here is a Youtube video of a guy fly fishing on Yellow Creek in the winter.

I love fishing yellow creek. Muskrat nymphs and white midgets up at red bank! Usually fish it with my Dad several times a year. Believe it or not it holds fish over 20. High and muddy water bug stream you will be surprised. Joe E

Back