Anybody Familiar With Korker Wading Shoes?

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Just read this story and must profess I never heard of this manuafacturer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/11/korkers_ready_to_move_beyond_i.html

I have a pair. Nice concept. They changed the patterns for the insert and now the model I have is not readily available in stores. That would be my main concern. I use mine for long hikes into streams. Put on the boot tread for hiking and then switch to the felt for fishing.

Really, Never heard of Korkers? Fade they make a really nice wading boot. Still kinda amazed that you have never heard of them though.

I love my Korkers. Light and durable as hell.

I got mine at Bass Pro. I really like them, no issues. They are holding up well and have the option to change out to the regular sole from the felt as needed.

Korkers rock! great boot... love mine.

I've had a pair for over a year and in 9 mos had to replace the felt soles(peeled off the plastic insert). Could have just bought new soles for $30.00. But decided to gorilla glue them back on. Didn't work, then I tried barge cement/marine goop, nada. Finally got the marine goop to hold and they are still OK, but the upper is wearing out (actually a nickel sized hole) and I noticed that the part that holds the sole in place at the toe is wearing thinner than and thinner. Once it wears through, they are through.

But I don't wear them anymore, they are back ups, I bought a pair of Greys Platinums form the Feathered hook. Love em.

Korkers are a novel idea but not for your hard core hiking fishermen. They are also a little "higher" than a normal boot. Watch your head at the back of the truck. Bonk!

The rubber bottoms I like for winter use- eliminates the Herman Munster syndrome.

I had a pair and I liked many of the features. One thing I didn't like is the felt nests inside a rubber rim on the sole. If you "catch an edge" by not planting the sole straight down on a slippery rock, you can slide on the corner of the sole. I went under more than once because of this.

albatross wrote:
I had a pair and I liked many of the features. One thing I didn't like is the felt nests inside a rubber rim on the sole. If you "catch an edge" by not planting the sole straight down on a slippery rock, you can slide on the corner of the sole. I went under more than once because of this.

I have one of the older pair, that uses the Omintrax V1 soles. The current crop uses Omnitrax V2 soles, and I understand their next batch will be a V3 sole, so there is some planned obsolescence in the boots and soles. I made the mistake of buying some V2 soles (because an Ebay seller wasn't 100% clear in their description), so I have some of those in my fishing junk container. As far as the boots go, they actually held up surprisingly well. I think I have used them for over two years; they are starting to wear out so now I'm stuck with soles that are still mostly good but no source of the original boots. My major complaint was the complete lack of arch support. I used them on a backpacking trip and my arches hurt so badly for a week after the trip. I bought some hiking inserts and replaced the arches/inserts and that solved that problem. I like the big screw-in stud soles for fishing the Erie tribs; they work well on the slimy shale. And I use the rubber cleated soles most of the other places, with the hiking soles periodically. However, I find the hiking soles to be extremely slippery on just about anything.

I will likely try to pick up a pair of boots that uses the V2 soles, so I can use the pairs of soles I bought that didn't fit. Or, if I found a pair of the original model, in size 11, I'd buy them again.

Korkers have been around a long time. There basically are two lines they produce. The product they started out with, is basically a steel studded sandal that fits over your footwear for traction in icy conditions. Many people refer to any type of strap on over the boot cleat system as "korkers".

The "newer" Korker is a boot with an interchangeable sole system. Good idea in principle, but it seems that everyone I know has various problems with them. I mean read every post above.

Back