Any tips for dubbing/CDC loops and dubbing noodles?

drakeking412

drakeking412

It took me about an hour and two attempts to come up with one ****** Duracell jig that I probably won't fish. I'll preface this by saying I AM NOT currently using dubbing wax but I'm going to get some.

I'm having trouble getting thin consistent dubbing noodles and having them stick to my thread well. It's also difficult to move them up the thread once I make them without them coming off in parts. This leads to my dubbing being "loose" on the fly so my ribbing sometimes disappears because my dubbing isn't tight enough to the hook. I'm also struggling with building clean tapers and not having tiny bulges but that will come in time and practice I think.

Also I just started making dubbing loops and CDC loops with the new Swiss CDC clamp. The clamp works like a dream but I feel like I need an extra arm to hold the clamp with CDC, the loop, and keep everything where I want it when I open the clamp. This might be greatly helped by the wax and after the Duracell fiasco I just spent an hour making dubbing loops on bare hooks and practicing so I think I might have a MUCH better tactic for them now.

Does anyone have some tips for these pesky dubbing issues I'm having? I'm using your standard Hareline products for clarification. Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• 1_24_20 ****** Duracell.jpg
    1_24_20 ****** Duracell.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 15
I use an Elmer's glue stick as dubbing wax, takes very little, just run it up the thread & done.

Often people use too much dubbing on the thread & that's how you get that loose effect you mentioned. Try using less?

Another thing people do when they get that loose dubbing is when you wrap your wire, go the opposite direction that you went with the dubbing. Example: if you dubbed clockwise around the shank, wrap the wire counter clockwise.

I agree with D-nymph. I find that using "whispers" of dubbing will acheive much better body results than "clumping" it up.

I'm not a great fan of doing a dubbing noodle (dubbing loop). I think I need to practice that a lot to get it to work.....but why when I get decent results just spinning on one thread.

watch this video and substitute materials

turn on closed captioning and change language to english if your confused with the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25iywHmZqRg

Thanks for the tips guys. I think my gf has a glue stick lying around so I'll give that a go. Also great video thanks Norm.

Make sure that you are closing the loop at the hook shank with a couple of thread wraps around the loop.

TeeKay wrote:
Make sure that you are closing the loop at the hook shank with a couple of thread wraps around the loop.

Yup I'm doing that.

It seems like I've been using for sure too much. I had much better success yesterday making loops and noodles and later this week I'll revisit CDC loops. I think I got them now though. Thanks again all!

Can always add dubbing; hard to take it away.

1. Unwind your thread by spinning bobbin counter clockwise.
2.Tease out the dubbing from package, giving length to dubbing. If you throw/drop dubbing it floats, you have correct amount.
3 Pinch dubbing against thread with thumb and index finger
3.1. Pushing (Left to right) dubbing with your LH thumb against LH index finger, working down, the thread makes a bushy noodle.
3.2. Pulling (Right to left) dubbing LH thumb against LH index finger working down the thread makes a tighter noodle.
4.Rewind thread by spinning bobbin clockwise.
5. Wrap noodle, holding bobbin close and parallel to hook, on your side of hook, up and over, with touching thread wraps.

I just make a loop of thread the length I'm going to need and hang my whip finisher from the bottom. Lay the dubbing between the two threads and twist the whip finisher and wrap. Easy peasy.

I will second all the less is more comments. That amount will only come with repetition.

Back