Any Tent Camping near Creeks??

P

PolarisRacer555

Does anyone know of any good primitive campgrounds that have access to good creeks or rivers? Preferably within 1-2hrs from Reading, PA. We went to Mauch Chunk Lake last year and the grounds were awesome but we would rather trout fish and be able to wade and not need a boat. Not a fan of big campgrounds with a bunch of RV's and would like to have a site on the water if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Loyalsock State Forest near the Haystacks are my personal favorite. No RVs allowed, tent camping as you may, need a permit to have a fire, and some good-natured hikers have already built stone fire rings and benches for everyone to use.

EDIT: Have a way to keep bears away.

You may want to check out the various state forest. Many offer primitive grass campsites that may or may not include a picnic table and place for a campfire.

Kev

Are you looking for drive-in primitive tent camping or hike-in backpacking tent camping?

There are probably places to camp in Lehigh Gorge SP. Certainly at Hickory Run SP there is both camping and primitive camping. Any of the state forests have primitive camping and you can camp near stream, though I don't think right next to them. The one exception that I know of is at 7 Mile on Slate Run. That's more like 3.5 hrs. from Reading.
Delaware State Forest might be one place to try. That's in the range or 2 hrs. from Reading. Maybe Michaux State Forest is within 2 hrs.
There's plenty of fishing in those places.
You must register for State Forest Camping, they only want to know in the event of an emergency.
Weiser S.F. also.

It's not exactly what you are looking for but Tuscarora State Park has camping and plenty of trout very close plus a ton of other fish in the lake.
KOA Allentown has a stream that I believe is stocked with trout.

Either primitive drive in or back packing. I'm willing to keep my options open to get some idea of what's out there. So far I'm impressed at the response, I will defiantly look into some of these places and if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to let me know.

Call the office of the state forest where you want to go. They'll tell you your options.

There is no camping allowed on state gamelands.

Correct:

Private Land: Need owners permission.

National Forest: Camp anywhere, no permit needed. Fire restrictions are sometimes put in place.

State Forest: Camp in established campgrounds, or else get a permit. Permits are generally pretty easy to obtain, but there can be restrictions on exact location (some areas off limits, other areas not, and rules such as distance from streams, where you can take vehicles, etc.).

State Game Land: No camping (exceptions for through hikers along established hiking trails on certain dates only).

Poe Paddy State Park isn't exactly primitive but there is tent camping along Poe Creek and within sight of Penns Creek.

Back