Any Suggestions for an Accurate Thermometer

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I know that there has been some discussion on this board about the perils of fishing when the temps get high. I see both sides of the discussion. But a thermometer comes in handy in the spring too. Bug activity starts to make it to its peak around 57 degrees. And inquiring minds want to know. :)

I have a Fish Pond thermometer and what I think is an Orvis one. Neither one passes the "ice water test". I.e. putting them in a glass of ice water and looking for 32.

Any suggestions on a good thermometer. Thanks in advance.

I have a Fish Pond thermometer and what I think is an Orvis one. Neither one passes the "ice water test". I.e. putting them in a glass of ice water and looking for 32.

Any suggestions on a good thermometer. Thanks in advance.
I also use a Fish Pond thermometer. I've often wondered about it's accuracy. I check the air temp with it and compare it to the known air temp, and it seems accurate that way. Also, it only had a two or three degree difference between the morning water temp and the afternoon water temp, which leads me to think it's at least fairly accurate.

I find it ironic though, that two top of the line name brand thermometers aren't showing 32F when placed in ice water. That's food for thought if nothing else. :)

I have had two different william and Joseph infrared thermometers and they have worked well. I have done the ice water test a number of times and the result is always between 31.9 and 32.2. The major drawback is that its not waterproof, not a big deal for me as it stays in my dry pouch Velcrod to my waders. They were around 40 bucks.

I have been using this small infrared one for 4 years and have been happy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MYMSOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hg, if you can find one.

Hg, yeah really. Maybe at an antique shop or eBay. Wish I still had mine. When I was a kid my dentist used to mix it in with something for teeth fillings. He used to pour some out on a tray for me to play with while he was mixing.

I have a fishpond for a few years now. Have checked it against a couple different instruments and find it to be reliable, to date. Not a digital.

I use a scientific anglers thermometer.
I used to use an instant meat thermometer, I've used them side by side dropped to the bottom of the river and both read the same

I periodically test my thermometer on a stream that has a USGS monitoring system and compare my temp reading to that one. The results match. I think mine is Scientific Angler but it's 20+ years old.

Maybe a swimming pool thermometer.

I just ordered an Orvis water thermometer from Flyfishers Paradise for $13.95. I have had good luck with them in the past, but every year or so I manage to lose them. I put them in the stream, become distracted and forget about them, and then forget where I was when I did this.

Anyhow, these Orvis thermometers have been useful and durable.

I've not had much luck from a accuracy perspective. Decided to try my digital meat thermometer. I tested it by measuring water temp at the site of the USGS gauge and found it to be accurate within +/- 1 degree. $12.99 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-littlejian-Electronic-Digital-Instant/dp/B071RSFSSP/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501170714&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=digital+instant+read+thermometer&psc=1

With water temps totally dependent on where & how you measure, at what point does a accuracy of a degree or two become so critical?

When you are trying to justify trout fishing in a steam that is @ 68 degrees? ;-)

If all of this water temp for trout stuff has you losing sleep, validate whatever POS thermometer you have to a confirm-able temperature like 68-70 degrees and paint a red dot on the spot where your fishing thermometer reads that temp. Then go home when your thermometer gets to that red dot.

It's really that simple if you're not splitting hairs...

I have tested my hand plunge into the stream with a guess against a stream thermometer and found less than 2 degrees variance.

Jack's hand plunge test reminds me of:

Jerry: Do women know about shrinkage?
Elaine: What do you mean like laundry?
Jerry: No, like when a man goes swimming afterwards.
Elaine: It shrinks?
Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!
Elaine: Why does it shrink?
George: It just does.
Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.
George: I was in the pool! I WAS IN THE POOL!

McSneek wrote:
Jack's hand plunge test reminds me of:

Jerry: Do women know about shrinkage?
Elaine: What do you mean like laundry?
Jerry: No, like when a man goes swimming afterwards.
Elaine: It shrinks?
Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!
Elaine: Why does it shrink?
George: It just does.
Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.
George: I was in the pool! I WAS IN THE POOL!

Jack's skill is "breathtaking"

I bought one 20 years ago and have not used it in 19 years 11 months. I use Jack's method. Close enough.

FWIW -

I bought a glass tube thermometer (all that you could get in the fly shops at that time) when I first started this sport.
And it lasted me almost 30 years before finally breaking.
I know it was pretty accurate, because ice tests I gave it periodically read within 1-2 degrees of freezing.
I wanted to replace it with another glass tube one, but none of the fly shops I checked carried them. So, I ended up ordering one from Cabelas - $10 I believe. This was around 5 years ago
It works fine too. In fact, out of curiosity, I just pulled it out and gave it the ice check. 32 degrees on the nose!
Simple to use, and no concerns about the batteries going dead

I think I should test out my laser thermo that I use to make sure my shirt silkscreening ink temp reaches 360.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-3-4-digital-probe-thermometer/913300NSFB.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtpDMBRC4ARIsADhz5O5DHNdtO5FL5qw2b5hFPFCLhhQ72UNhY7keEz2KDxHA3jyoDQ2lRS0aAsvcEALw_wcB

I have been using a digital grill thermometer. They are available at Lowes and appear to give accurate results. The probe is long enough to place in about 6" of water at least the one I am using.

=Not sure how long Jack's probe is though= :)

Back