any spay guys out there? i have a few questions.

marcq

marcq

in concept the spay is basically a way to cast with limited back casting room?

i going to try to get my feet wet with steelhead in this or the next season depending on how whether is. that being said i have another spot in mind that i would like to fish for shad and the once in a blue moon striper. in that case i don't think the swinging flies would be the best way to hook into the fish. at least not the shad. this may be a dumb question but can you fish a spay in the same nature as a regular fly rod? i would be looking to do more streamer fishing. lots of stripping.

for rods i think a switch would be better. i am looking at a cheaper cabelas one but might step up and go with a TFO or St Croix. id probably go with a 8wt rod. i have a lamson guru 3.5 which is rated for line weights that are 8/9. would that work for the rod?

thanks marc

Spey casts are basically roll casts with a change of direction. It's easier to execute a roll cast or spey cast with a longer rod. You can use a double hander to fish all the same techniques you would with a single hander (except maybe fishing dries, maybe). The longer rod also makes mending easier.

After thinking about buying a double hander for the Delaware to use for shad and smallies, I finally got an 11' 6wt. this fall. Stripping line is no different than with a single hander. The only difference is ability to fish with limited backcast room, and the mending.

Double hander (switch and spey) line weights are different than single hander rating. A 6wt. 2hander casts a line equivalent of an 8-10wt. single hander. An 8/9 would be greater for river stripers, but would be an awful lot for shad, IMO.

thanks. yea I've caught shad on the reel in the salt and it over kill but we will see what happens. haha just realized I wrote spay not spey.

my currentsingle hand steelhead setup that i love is a 7 wt st croix imperial (10ft) with an 8 wt wulff ambush shooting head with integrated running line for a fast action rod i recommend over lining it at least 1 line size and im still able to fish close but yet make longer casts but the shooting head is nearly impossible to mend beyond 25 or so feet

For spey lines look up rio unispey very great with a switch rod and swing/stripping flies. I had a spey rod that i never used cause no need on the streams for a 12.6 6 wt. Your reel for that line will be to small. One thing that i have learned from one of my loop tackel friends from germany. If you use running line connected to a skagit shooting head or scandi head you can always change out for salt water to steelhead to bass and muskie. I would call rio up for any other line suggestions they are very helpful.

Spey casting IS NOT a roll cast! Repeat, it is not a roll cast. It is using the water tension/resistance to load the rod and shoot the line through the air just like a normal overhead cast. The direction of the cast all depends upon where you initially set the line in the water.

There is spey, scandi and skagit. All are similar yet each is different but each uses water tension/resistance to load the rod. Spey (Scotland) and scandi (Scandinavian countries) were invented for salmon fishing and skagit (Pacific Northwest) was invented for steelhead fishing. Spey involves longer rods (14 foot plus) to handle mid to long belly lines (40 feet and longer). Scandi uses shorter rods (12 to 13 foot) and shorter belly lines (30 to 40 feet). Skagit uses even shorter belly lines of 20 to 25 feet. Typically skagit is for fishing heavy sinking flies.

It is too complicated to try and explain further. Search youtube for some excellent tutorials on each. Once you see the applications of each you will be better able to decide if this is worthwhile.

I just got the Redington Dually 11'3" 7wt and paired it with a Lamson 3.0x and Rio 7wt switch chucker line. I have always wanted a switch rod and a friend of mine who works at a fly shop in NJ said this is the best outfit for the money.
The Rio line is matched to the rod weight and you don't have to overline the rod and hope that it is right. The Dually is only $250 and very well made. Your reel is a perfect match for this rod and line.

I had a Cablelas 11'6" 8wt. switch rod and really liked it. Fished it both ways. Fianlly broke the tip end trying to land a salmon the wrong way (landed many with it before it broke). Thinking about buying another one. I got the first one in the bargin cave for $80. I keep hoping another one shows up. It was reg. $240.

Back