Any Hammock Campers?

G

gibsygoldtop

Every year we do a few camping fishing trips and this year I want to use my hammock for sleeping. I have the hammock, rain fly and bug net, but my need for advise comes with the under quilt.

If you are a hammock camper - do you use an under quilt? Or do you use your sleeping pad from tent camping? Do you use one of those things with the "wings" to use your sleeping pad?

We will be camping a few days and May and some in June so nights could be in the 50's. I understand the benefits of the UQ, but as this isn't my main sleeping set up (any backpacking with wife and kids is in a tent) I don't won't to break the bank for a few nights.

Thanks!

I've used a thermarest mattress out of necessity. It worked well and I was much warmer the second half of that night that dipped into the upper 30's unexpectedly.
I don't see a need for the extra insulation for warmer weather camping, though our definitions of warm may differ.

I have a thermarest and was actually thinking about using my big agnes air mattress and not inflating it all the way..

From what I am reading, because of the material the hammock is made from (so thin) that anything under 60 degrees you will get a cold butt and back. But sounds like you fared well with just an air mattress. I hope to get a night were I can test before we go.

gibsygoldtop wrote:
Every year we do a few camping fishing trips and this year I want to use my hammock for sleeping. I have the hammock, rain fly and bug net, but my need for advise comes with the under quilt.

If you are a hammock camper - do you use an under quilt? Or do you use your sleeping pad from tent camping? Do you use one of those things with the "wings" to use your sleeping pad?

We will be camping a few days and May and some in June so nights could be in the 50's. I understand the benefits of the UQ, but as this isn't my main sleeping set up (any backpacking with wife and kids is in a tent) I don't won't to break the bank for a few nights.

Thanks!

One of my bestfriends completed the AT without any interruption using a hammock, no tent. I know he used a regular air mat, and insists that the tighter you can get it stretched out the better it will be. He has some great stories from that trail, sometimes he would have to just lay the hammock on the ground and curl up in it when he was in an area with no good trees and was too tired to find any.

NewSal, Congrats to your friend! I hope to one day thru hike myself.

This makes sense getting it as tight as you can, probably helps keep the mat in place and helps with side sleeping.

gibsygoldtop wrote:
NewSal, Congrats to your friend! I hope to one day thru hike myself.

This makes sense getting it as tight as you can, probably helps keep the mat in place and helps with side sleeping.

If you ever plan on actually doing it I can link you up with him to share some tips etc, its amazing sitting around a campfire listening to the stories, an extremely unique experiance

I'm still dialing my hammock in. Last trip, I used a Klymit insulated mattress with a 3/4 foam pad laid perpendicular beneath it to wrap up around the shoulders - the set up worked well down to 37. Just lay your sleeping bag over you like a quilt. I found that setting up with a deep U to the hammock and laying in it at an angle, allows my back to more-or-less lay flat. YMMV, though. Give both ways a shot - in the back yard:)

I haven't found the air mattress approach to work well for me so I went to an UQ. I have found that even at 70 deg I needed some type of insulation under me. And I'm someone who likes the room at 68 deg for sleeping. It just seems to conduct the heat out and my back gets stiff.

Using a sleeping bag as a TQ works ok but I also can use a throw or blanket just as well in moderate temps.

I use a bridge hammock WBBB as I have RLS and just can't sleep in a gathered end hammock.

I use a Hennessy Hammock. In the summer you can get away with no pad, but in cooler weather I use a Thermarest pad. Works great. I've slept in mine down into the teens. Without the pad, you'll freeze because you have no R-value under you. The small amount of protection goes a long way in cool weather. It is trial and error to find out what works for you, but error on the side of conservative in cooler weather.

BTW some people buy these low cost down comforters on Amazon or at Costco and fashion their own UQ. They only run $20 - $30. Attach some shock cord and they would work for moderate temps.

My aunt has a hammock at her bungalow that I would always seem to sleep in or near when I was drunk. Pretty comfy on summer nights when I could get in it, but total mosquito trap.

You can use an "emergency" blanket as an under quilt, with the foil type material, it will work. Probably the sleep pad or an actual blanket / quilt would work better.

I use a multi-layer sleep bag, it always seems to be cold when camping near water no matter what time of year, the bug net is a good idea, I have one but rarely use it.

My crew seems to decide where to camp only after the sun has set making it difficult for me (the only hammock swinger) to get set up. Once I set up over a trail cuz it was the only place I could find with proper trees. All night I had possums running under me along their foraging trail, hissing at me, even when I yelled at them they would not leave, sleepless night.

I am an avid backpacker and sleep in nothing but hammocks these days. I use underquilts and topquilts and I have a few of each. I've slept in my hammock down to about 0° comfortably. Using a pad will be fine and depending on which pad you're using each may have their own quirks. Pads are definitely not as comfy as a UQ though.

On a side note I make most all of my own backpacking gear anymore. If you are ever interested in needing hammock gear you can PM me. I can make you a silnylon taro way cheaper than you can buy one elsewhere.

jifigz wrote:
On a side note I make most all of my own backpacking gear anymore. If you are ever interested in needing hammock gear you can PM me. I can make you a silnylon taro way cheaper than you can buy one elsewhere.

Do you do some commercially or just a hobby?

PA has a number of cottage industry hammock and hammock accessory makers. Usually have a "hang" at Pine Grove Furnace a couple times a year where many of these vendors show their stuff and hammock campers gather for a weekend.

Neat thread. Im planning a weekend fishing/hiking trip this summer and was planning on using a hammock.

Thanks for all the great advise! Last night I did some playing around and took my big agnes pad and only put a little air in it. I was able to move around a bit and roll to my side without the pad moving.

I think with the pad is how I will start.

franklin wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Do you do some commercially or just a hobby?

PA has a number of cottage industry hammock and hammock accessory makers. Usually have a "hang" at Pine Grove Furnace a couple times a year where many of these vendors show their stuff and hammock campers gather for a weekend.

My sewing you mean? It is only hobby but I've made things for many people and they all seem satisfied..i try to convince people I know how much they can save by having me do their quilts, tarps, etc and most go for it. Pa has the king of hammocks, DUTCH. I know I like and use many of his innovations.

I basically only use a hammock. If it is chilly I will use a sleeping bag, but on warmer summer nights i usually just wear a long sleeve and sweatpants. An old blanket would probably work just fine.

*Grain of salt, I also have slept/passed out in a rolled up tarp in a rain storm, so I am not really picky.

Back