Any experience with beginners?

S

Sylvaneous

This is a post ABOUT or FOR a beginner fly fisher, and I wanted the tap into the board's experience. So I wanted people who are seasoned fly anglers, which would mostly be on this forum, but to help me with a beginner. I have another thread in the Beginner forum under "Asking for a Friend". Thanks.
Syl

If I were starting someone out new, I would show them videos and photos of fly fishing. I would explain the mechanics and physics of the cast. Then give them an old rod, old line and have them practice practice practice.

I wasn't old enough to drive when I started so I had to wait for my dad to have free time on weekends. I spent about a year practice casting in the yard before I ever went to the stream. I think that benefited me tremendously and would have not changed a thing

I get them out lawn casting and teach the basics. Then explain about water tension and it’s nothing like casting on the lawn. Then I tell them to just get out there and do it. Make mistakes, get tangled, learn to untangle, learn to tie knots, re-tie your rig when it’s a mess. I try to get people out on heavily stocked streams or a pond. Get them on fish early, give tips and watch them smile. It’s my favorite thing to do, to get people on a fish on the fly rod for the first time. Just as fun for me as it is for them.

Back