Anvil Apex Fly Tying Vise $99

Yes - a far better investment than that Regal knock off. The Anvil vise is USA made, and it is constructed of quality materials. It also has a lifetime warranty, and comes with both a pedestal base, and a c-clamp.

I had one of those Regal knock offs and it did work well but it didn't last very long. It seriously lacked in the quality and durability and the reliability department! In other words it's JUNK!! I guess that what you get for 40 bucks.

Pauly
This Thursday night 4/19/2012 ,a few of us get together at Mainstream Outfitters at 6pm-8pm and do some fly tying and bsing
You are welcome to come and watch and ask questions
If you have any tying stuff by then ,bring it along and join us
This will be the last tying get together untill Sept when we start a new session
There are a few people on this forum that attend
Hope you can make it
beadhead2

beadhead2 wrote:
Pauly
This Thursday night 4/19/2012 ,a few of us get together at Mainstream Outfitters at 6pm-8pm and do some fly tying and bsing
You are welcome to come and watch and ask questions
If you have any tying stuff by then ,bring it along and join us
This will be the last tying get together untill Sept when we start a new session
There are a few people on this forum that attend
Hope you can make it
beadhead2

Can't make it but I wish I could. I likely wont have any stuff by then. But between now and September, I should have been tying enough to ask good questions.

I have the anvil and use it for all my tying. I like the simplicity of the vise and ease of use. It is durable and made in the USA.

I have the Anvil. Really like it and have no complaints.

I'm another one with that Anvil vise. Works well and it is nice to have the flexibility of the C-clamp or base. Great beginner vise!

I also own one. Love it. I broke the jaws on my by applying too much pressure. I told the customer service rep that it was my fault and that I would pay for the repairs. He said that was not necessary and fixed it free of charge. Cant go wrong with Anvil.

I definately would choose the Anvil vise over the regal knockoff vise. I have one of the regular regals and really like it. It sells for around $139 with c-clamp for table

If you are going to drop $100 on the Apex I would just put the investment into a Renzetti traveler or one of the Dyna Kings. It will last you the rest of your life. I have been tying on my traveler for almost 20 years now. Got it when I was 18 for $125. The vice I used before that was an old Thompson I inherited from my uncle. If you are going to go cheap, go cheap. If you are going to spend $100, go all the way.

I have an old traveler. Love it. I had to upgrade to the cam lock jaws and thought the price of $75.00 excessive but still it's great. That said, they're $194.00 now and I'd have to look at that anvil i were buying now. So many high ratings from this group can't be ignored. The clamping power and smoothness of the rotary function made the traveler a pioneer. I'd want to hold the anvil in hand.

get the anvil, can't be beat. I have a renzetti that I wore out and will never buy another. To many things go wrong. For the price of a traveler you can buy the Anvil top of line Atlas...Anvil's have a lifetime warrenty...

I like the Anvil a lot. Works great for streamer hooks as well as flies in the 20+ range. I had a piece chip off the jaws and they shipped me a replacement at no charge.

I have the anvil rotary its about 50.00 more but will be the last vise you will need. the apex is a great vise but if you can go the extra 50 bucks you can get the anvil atlas which is a rotary vise. You may want to tie on a rotary someday and this one you will have for life. I had bent the jaws on my atlas a while back called the co. and within a few days had the replacement parts no charge. I like the vise and I like the co. In my opinion you cant go wrong with either one.

I would just spend a few bucks more and go with the Renzetti Traveler. It has great rotary action and superb hook holding power. I have been tying on mine for over a year and have tied numerous flies of various sizes. I had no problems what so ever with it. I just wish this was the first vise I owned instead of buying cheap ones.

you people are good at spending other people's money.

jesus, if i had your money i'd burn my own.

kits are stupid, we've established that, so buy a kit like the sort cabela's calls "Cabela's Standard Fly Tying Tool Kit." its tools but has no materials. it'll cost you $34.

if you want to support the small shop, buy the basic tools (scisssors, bobbin, pokey thing, hackle pliers, hair stacker if you're feeling saucey) and a $20 basic vise.

then buy the materials to tie a fly or two you use alot.

you may discover that your $35 investment is a load of crap and you'd just as soon spend $.75 a fly and save time and aggravation buying them. you won't be out a $[d]40 [/d] $[d]99 [/d] $[d]140 [/d] $160 for a damned hunk of steel and a squeezy bit.

many people can, have, and will continue to tie greater flies than anyone who's ever graced this forum in their bare hands. many people have done nothing but ever use the most basic vise known to man to tie flies for a living, for magazines, and for basic pleasure.

this thread is a train wreck as your wallet empties and people just throw more and more expensive ideas at you.

Back