Antique Bamboo Rod Tip Section

T

tklevan

I had a servicable (as opposed to "valuable") antique bamboo fly rod that I refurbished and was really enjoying. I say "had" because on a recent adventure in the Adirondacks, I broke the tip section by accidentally ramming it onto the bow of the boat I was in. Does anyone know of any dealers in Western PA that might have a replacement for this tip section? I am not interested in paying $75 (or more) for a newly-built tip...

what kind of rod, also, what wt? 2 or 3pc? might be able to track something down for you. there is also a guy near volant that restores and repairs bamboo, I'll look up his contact info for you.

There is also a guy in south hills that does work, but I cannot recall or find his info.

Post a message here, and you'll get some help...
http://classicflyrodforum.com/

to bikerfish: the rod was given to me in pretty bad shape.. it has no markings that I can decipher so I do not know the make. It is 8 foot 10 inches, a 3-piece and seems to be roughly a 5-6 wt. that is I get the best results with a spool loaded with 5-wt, wieght forward line. I have no dea how old it is, though I suspect it is from the mid-forties to early fifties.

To David: Thanks for the hook-up to the forum!

I have a few old tip sections around. I can sell you one for $74.99.;-)

Seriously though. I think you can probably get a new unfinished blank tip made for about 100 bucks, but I don't do that.

I have some antique tip sections around, but I'd have to think long and hard about parting with one. but if I found one one that is not mated to a rod i have, I'd probably let it go for cheap. If you have no luck elsewhere, drop me a PM. I'd need a bunch of measurements to compare tapers to get something similar. yu rod was probably originally a 9 foot. Some pictures of the rod including reel seat and ferrules would also be helpful if they are still original. Any pictures of before restoration? At one time I wasn't bad at helping to identify the old production rods but I'm a little rusty.

I don't visit this page often, so feel free to send a PM if you wish to discuss.

Back