Another rod building question

TimB

TimB

I'm repairing a rod that was originally wrapped with Gudebrod Classic Twist 001/002 (black & white) in size A. That brand/style of thread hasn't been available for a number of years. I waswondering if any of you builders out there might have an extra spool in your collection of materials you'd be willing to swap for something.

Somebody at one of the Jams a few years ago was giving away this style in a larger size. I have that size, but need some of the standard A. I have three rods built with this color and they look great. Hoping I can scare up a spool here before trolling on eBay.

I know what you refer to, I do not have any but I will reach out to some buds that do restorations, Gimme a few days.

That was Tocar, I brought several of those home, but like yours, its all D or something giant like that.

I've used Prowrap's "tiger twist" from Mudhole. I doubt it'll be the same, but maybe close enough if you never manage to turn up the same thing.

I'll look in my bin but I think I have the same stuff gfen has.

Thanks guys. I thought it was Tony with the thread at the Jam, but I was a little foggy that morning & couldn't remember too clearly.

The Mudhole thread is probably close enough. Next time I order stuff from them I'll grab a spool. In the meantime I'll hope I can score some of the Gudebrod.

I've never purchased anything on eBay and for some irrational and inexplicable reason, I'm proud of that fact. I'd like to keep it that way if I can. But if all else fails I'll break down & do it.

Try "Bullards International". I believe the "Classic Twist" is available in size A. Also, "Rick's Rods" in Colorado will/may sell you some off a 1,000 yd. spool if the wht/blk variegated is still available. Goodwin-Granger & Wright-McGill along with Phillipson used a variety of this style thread. Gudebrods is tough to find as u probably know. I have no $ interest in either business. Solid customer support for both as far as my experience goes. Good Luck & Merry Christmas

Thanks for the info. Thought I hit the jackpot there with Bullards, but it looks like they are going out of business. I'll have to order quick!

You're quite welcome Tim B. I did'nt know if U needed silk, nylon and whether U were doing a utilitarian restoration or a museum grade . Either way, it's definitely a lean market for jasper thread out there unfortunately. Gudebrods was always a benchmark for builders and flytyers and if you have'nt scarfed it up, it's gone. The thread from Rick's is Rice's silk which is specifically the replacement for Granger/WMcgill as per M. Sinclairs informative book. I suppose it's either bite the bullet or bite the bullet + move on. It IMHO has no equal for the pretty factor on ammonia toned cane. Hope it comes together for U. As was told to me, those that bad mouth cane rods have never had the opportunity to cast a really good one. It's all a part of the heritage surrounding our sport, like it or not. Blah/blah/blah.

Just an update. I purchased a spool of Bullards thread. It's not an exact match, but reasonably close to the old Gudebrod. Mudhole's Pro Wrap might be closer match but this'll do. It's just for repairing one section of a 6 piece graphite rod that gets fished very heavily. I'm only wrapping one ferrule & a small stripper. Bullards thread is actually a little nicer looking than the Gudebrod. The black is a little denser & the contrasting light color is almost silver. Really nice looking.

Next time I'm ordering from Mudhole, I'll grab a spool of their thread to compare

FYI, Bullards closed their online sales website on 12/31. Looks like their products will be taken over by Voo Doo Custom Rods in the near future.

fwiw, if you don't use CP on twist thread it turns into a murky mess.

I checked my stash and my black and white twist thread is size D.

Back