Another important pattern for this time of year...Isonychia!

O

OldLefty

If the drake imitations aren't producing during the day and there's a good population of Slate Drakes in the water you're fishing you might want to fish an Isonychia nymph (Slate Drake)

Here is mine and I know there are other top producing patterns for this critter.

Dave R.

Attachments

• DSC_0722_edited-1-copy.jpg
    DSC_0722_edited-1-copy.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 7
Back half really looks like one of those moth caterpillars...

What is it tied with, ostrich herl? And how'd you get the white stripe down its back?

gfen, Isonychia is a prominently gilled nymph. The gills are fur. This is one in a series of fur-gilled nymph patterns I've developed. You can view my fur-gilled Green Drake on another thread. The median stripe is white thread on the Isonychia.

Dave R,

can you give us a material list for this fly?

Nice looking fly Dave! I’ve seen patterns that use a stripped partridge quill for the “racing stripe” as well. Some leave it out altogether, but I think it could be a trigger. It's certainly a diagnostic field mark of the large “swimmer” type nymphs.

Important to “breath life” into these flies as well… Isonychia’s are strong swimmers (even against current) and fish get used to taking them that way… real “tippet-snapping” strikes sometimes!

I use dental floss for the racing stripe

Recipe:

Hook: Daiichi 1770 size 12, 14
Thread: black 6/0
Tails: brown ostrich herl tips
Rib: brown sewing thread
Median stripe: white sewing thread
Abdomen: 1 part black, 1 part chocolate brown mixed
Legs: brown mottled hen back feather fibers
Wing case: black poly yarn
Thorax: same as abdomen

Note: For Isonychia nymphs I fish after July 1 I leave out the median stripe. The naturals I've captured don't have it.

Dave R.

Thanks for the compliment, Dizzy

Excellent fly - I need to tie a few of those.
Thanks Dave

OldLefty , that looks like a killer , alot of motion i'll bet NICE.

Great looking fly Dave. For those not sure of how to tie Dave's fly, here is a link to a video tying a similar Isonychia nymph. You can tie it using the recipe on the video or use Dave's recipe:

Isonychia Nymph Tutorial

Good luck.

beautiful tie, Dave!

Here are is the Isonychia pattern and several other tied by Dave R. on Hans Weilenmann's site:

(Click on each photo for close-ups and different angle photo)

http://www.danica.com/flytier/drothrock/drothrock.htm

Beautiful flies! More importantly, to me anyway, fish catchin' flies.

Dave- Glad to see you figured out how to post pics! Nice tie.

JG

I just have to say that is the best looking PA iso bi I have EVER seen in my life. From my experience, Dizzy is dead on with the tippet comment and the movement of these devils. Trout annihilate these things-excellent nymph fishing.I think they are a highly under fished nymph, at least from the cats I talk to. Some streams have them in massive numbers all summer. They are quite a nice piece of meat too. Great representation.

I just tied two "models" tonight. One is lightly segmented, weighted, with a wrap, all black marabou(for movement while stripping). Other one is all peacock. Might post some pics, they aren't masterpieces, but they work, haha.

Interesting comments about the stripe. I have never seen the stripe of a live specimen. The shucks aren't really a good indicator, I don't think, as the home owner has vacated, and there is nothing filling the translucent body.

Have you guys examined live, are the stripes that pronounced?

I've seen some populations that can definitely be categorized as a 10 tie, mm, not sure about an 8, but some of these guys are pretty huge.

Have you guys examined live, are the stripes that pronounced?

Yep, they are normally pronounced on the live nymphs. Here's a photo from Troutnut.com. The ones I've collected on Penn's & Pine Creek over the years are slightly darker.

EG

Attachments

• IsonychiaBicolor_02.jpg
    IsonychiaBicolor_02.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 4
A zug bug is a good tie that can work in a pinch for the iso. They love those tails.

In my five years of sampling time fly fishing- I have come to love this hatch. Although I have hit it a few times probably- can still count on one hand it has been memorable- for the good reasons.

It IMO is the best hatch to swing soft hackles.

Ok- now dont laugh. I am a novice tier but here is a picture of a simple fly that has been successful.

If you never have tried wet fly fishing this is a great hatch to try out with that method.

To boot under the right conditions it is a most of the day, steady hatch.

Just my take.

Attachments

• softhackle.jpg
    softhackle.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 4
Paul,

That's about as good as mine would ever look. I'll be stealing the pattern. :)

Very nice flies guys!

Back