W

WV waver

IMG 4666

In flight before capture

Attachments

• IMG_4662.jpeg
    IMG_4662.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 41
It's a bit late in the year to see one, but it has the appearance of an Ephemerella dorothea dorothea "spinner" or adult stage mayfly, commonly known as a Sulphur.

In my neck of the woods on the streams where I fish during the hatch, this is a mayfly that typically begins hatching late in May with the peak emergence late in the afternoon to dusk although you'll see few popping off at odd times of the day. The spinners will do their thing much later and in the mornings.

I have fished the hatch into early July on the Letort with VERY few bugs hatching but willing fish regardless. I'm sure there can always be a few stragglers even later in the month and MAYBE this late elsewhere, but I surely wouldn't be out fishing in August expecting a Sulphur hatch...

If is WAS a Sulphur spinner, I would venture to guess it was the only one you saw.

No sir, I saw several on a little mountain stream in Monongahela NF. Been seeing them for weeks. They fly up & down stream in afternoons, get at head of riffles, flutter up & down, dip into water a few times and then fly on. I’ve seen them land on rhododendron/laurel leaves, then fly away.

At first I thought they were yellow sallies but that wing definitely looks mayfly. I’m a newb & amateur and generally do not concern myself with this other than passing glances. Paying more attention lately.

The up & down thing is them doing the big nasty and dipping in the water would be to release eggs however Ephemerella dorothea dorothea female spinners usually but not always drop their eggs above the water so it may be a different mayfly.

FWIW - That's a mayfly, not a stonefly and where I come from a Yellow Sally is a stonefly.

Bottom line, the fish don't know what it is either. If you see evidence of fish taking this fly, put on a size 16 spinner, have at them and have fun!

maybe this?

I'm no entomologist, but look at the photos of the Little Yellow Quill spinner (a spinner is what is what you captured):

Your specimen was light yellow in color with almost no brown on the upper part of the abdomen.

I'm thinking they may be right.
Yellow quill spinner
At first I thought a pale morning spinner.

Either way a yellow fly in the right size would work.

I can't get over that troutnut site and the level of detail in the photos. Just exceptional.

Bottom line, the fish don't know what it is either. If you see evidence of fish taking this fly, put on a size 16 spinner, have at them and have fun!
The OP didn't report that fish were taking them. If they were, I agree with Bamboozle... Match size/color and have at it. The pictures on that bug ID site are amazing.

I agree with spme posters here. Dont get too caught up in the taxonomy. Match, color, size and behavior

Agree. However the Czech nymph guys clean up on very non descript and borderline gaudy flies. I cant explain it.
My guess is, as well as they do, they would be even better should they match the catch.

Good point though.

The first photo seems to have some veining in the wings.
Which would indicate a Cream Cahill to me.
And more likely seen in this late summer time frame.

But yeah, a sulphur pattern would likely work just fine

Back