Another dry fly question

jkilroy

jkilroy

Here's another problem I have which I need help with.

I want to use calf body hair which is very fine, for royal wulff's, Well after I stack it, I can't get it out of the stacker, it stays in the bottom. I'm using a medium brass stacker. I usually wind up using calf tail which is more wrinkly.

I like the wrinkley stuff...anyway...

My stacker leaves a little bit sticking out after packing so its easier to grab. Maybe you could find something to make a small spacer in the bottom so the tube is not flush with the bottom of the stacker base.

Use a smaller stacker

Here's how I fix that problem. After your hair is stacked, take the top portion of the stacker and lift it about 1/8th of an inch and pack it again. This will leave a bit of space at the top of your hair to grab on to and tie on. I only have 1 medium sized stacker and this helps with my smaller ties.

Use the appropriate size brass shell casing , .22 , .25 , 9mm , .38 , etc. , cut it shorter with a hacksaw so the butts stick out over the top so you can pinch em. I like the wrinkley stuff too , the wrinkles seem to get hung up on each other making the whole bunch stick together better , the wrinkley stuff also traps an air bubble and floats better. With the synthetics the stacking problem is not an issue , z-lon , zing , antron , etc.

I'm having a similar problem.

Steve S. at Flyfisher's Paradise suggests polising the inside of the stacker. The hair should slide out easily after polishing.

Also, I think a bigger (wider) stacker for crinkly hair makes sense.

Another thing to keep in mide with hair wings: You don't need to stack the hair perfectly. I agree it looks better, but I doubt it fishes better that way. I understan Lee Wolf never stacked his hair for hair wings.

try wiping the stacker out with a dryer sheet keeps the static down so the hair doesn't stick. Calf body makes a nicer looking fly, they both float well too. do you use a 1 piece or 2 piece stacker. I only need one stacker for everything.

I use a plastic pen cap for a stacker. The good stackers I've used were nice, but I have a cheap one that barely works. Pen cap is superior and practically free.

sandfly wrote:
try wiping the stacker out with a dryer sheet keeps the static down so the hair doesn't stick.

Do what Sandy says and it should solve your problem. I keep a dryer sheet in my fly tying desk and use it where ever materials start to cling.

I have a friend who uses a cleaned out Chapstick container which after the stacking can be twisted from the bottom to push the butts up where you can snag em.

I use a 2 piece stacker. I think I'll try a smaller stacker. I just tried it again and the problem is that the hair is too short when I pull the upper part of the stacker off. Calf hair is longer.

jayL..............i like that pen cap idea , i also admire resourcefulness , keep thinkin like that and you might come up with something that makes you wealthy. Gonna try a pen cap next time i sit down at the vise.

when you pull the stacker apart, do you hold it verticle or horizonal ?? using a 2 piece stacker you should hold it horizonal, then you can grasp the tips in the inner tube. then switch and hold them by the butt end.

when you pull the stacker apart, do you hold it verticle or horizonal ?? using a 2 piece stacker you should hold it horizonal, then you can grasp the tips in the inner tube. then switch and hold them by the butt end.

Sandfly, couldn't you just take the two piece apart with the opposite hands? This is m y approach because after I get it stacked I try to switch hands very little so I don't mess up what I just did with the stacker.

I do it like Sandy with a 2 part stacker. Here's the whole procedure:

Tap the stacker a few times, hold it horizontal, slowly pull the stacker apart, grab the hair tips in with my fingertips on left hand and pull the hair out of the inner stacker piece, while holding the tips tightly, I stroke the stack to remove shorts and fuzz with my right hand.

Since I'm right handed the tips are in my left hand and facing the rear of the fly (like they should be). I line the stack on top of the hook and measure the length on the hook shank to tie in the wings. Sometimes it's best to precut the stack to length and tie it on.

Check out this video from Hans Weilenmann. Don't blink your eyes, the whole process written above only takes a few seconds.

(click on "video clip" to see him tie the CDC & Elk)
http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

Back