Annual green drake question

jay348

jay348

Sorry folks, I know one of these threads (or something similar) pops up every year, but I'm having trouble with the search function.

I've got a trip to central PA planned, and there's an off chance I may see some of these bugs for the first time.

I've got a few extended bodies tied, but I'm having trouble figuring out if I'm in the ballpark as far as the actual bug size. Most of the recipes I'm finding online only list a hook size.

First attempts...

Attachments

• GDs.jpg
    GDs.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi Jay,

My records show the body length is from 20-30mm long. The males are on the smaller end of this scale.

Make sure you tie up some wiggle nymphs, as in my experience, the best action is using them earlier in the day. Trying to get fish to take your spinner when there's a gazillion other spinners on the water is often an exercise in futility.....

Hope you get into them - they're really big bugs, and a spectacle to witness!

H.A.

Attachments

• green drake dun.jpg
    green drake dun.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks pretty close to me. I heart drakes.

Thanks HA, that's what I was looking for. I'm only up for a weekend so I'm thinking a couple in a size or two should do.

Funny you mention the wiggle nymphs...oldleftys was the first that came to mind after seeing it at the tying jam. My attempt at some plagiarism...

13438809655_f72ac96c97_b.jpg

Green drakes are fun to tie and dream about fishing but don't neglect sulphurs and march brown / grey fox hatches. Both of which are usually found on streams that contain green drakes and produce more consistent dry fly action. Particularly sulphurs.

Kev

Thanks Kev, no doubt on the other bugs. I was pumped that I may actually see some of these, so that was my main excuse for tying em first.

I got schooled last year during our trip...big MBs everywhere, but the fish were keyed in on one of the other 3 tiny bugs present. Took a hard skunking one night...unless we're counting chubs that is.

I hate it when I get a chub fishing.

Jay, that is a great looking nymph. Any chance you could supply a material list?

GenCon

Thanks for the kind words!

Gen, as I mentioned, the wiggler is oldlefty's creation, so he can elaborate on the construction process if he wishes because a) I doubt its my place, and b) i probably got something wrong in there anyway :cool:

I just used what I had on hand, and both nymphs are basically the same materials...

tail: 3 pheasant tail fibers
body: light tan dubbing
gills: wiggle nymph - dubbing picked out and colored w/ marker; solid hook version - grey fluff from the base of a soft hackle feather
wing case: turkey
legs: brown soft hackle feather fibers

Agree - some nice looking nymphs.

Look awesome. The "fluff" is a nice set o' gills

Yep, some nice looking nymphs ya got there Jay. Fish takers for sure.

Back