Angling Days by Robert DeMott

R

rrt

This is a journal of DeMott's fly-fishing beginning in 1989.

DeMott takes journal entries from his fishing journals and expands them into small vignettes. Once he gets done telling us that he has experienced sex, as most modern fishing writers seem to feel obliged to do for some reason, he describes many fishing adventures, mostly in the West and mostly on the Madison River. In these short tales, he often strays to streamside description and other non-fishing events. Having said this, I appreciated his actual fishing journal entries, especially the ones from the past 15 years.

DeMott was a college professor, but he managed to get in about 30 days of fly-fishing each year. He seems to have possessed a lot of stamina, and he caught and released some enviable fish.

His prose is mostly easy to read, and his enthusiasm for fly-fishing appears to be genuine. Some of the names he drops in the book include Jim Harrison, Nick Lyons, and Thomas McGuane.

This is a book that would make nice reading on cold winter nights beside a woodburner, one or two stories at a time. I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5 recommendation. It is a pretty good book.

I'll check it out. I'm looking for some new reading material right now.
Just thinking yesterday that my preferred way of fishing (dry flies) will likely be mostly over in a month or so and winter can be long around here.

Back