And Here We Will Have Our Encounter

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

You have all done it. Explored a new stream. You separate from your buddies and begin to walk along the bank looking for THE PLACE. There it is. The water is not too low, not too high and there is that stretch pooling into a big curve along the bank. You get in the water ever so quietly. Move cautiously to the beginning of the curve and say to yourself "Here we will have our encounter". You cast and mend and hope to get the fly into that flat piece of water at the end of the curve. You lift the rod tip and feel that weight that only we anglers know. Set the fly and hope there are no wind knots in the leader. You just about get the fish to your feet and damn there it goes. I'd like to say I lost it because I was fishing one of those damn barbless greenie weenie like flies that Fox Gap gave me. I count it as a catch English Prof.

Long releases are even better-

I don't get wind knots - only lazy arm ones.
By the way, I never lost a fish I wasn't suppose to!

I try not to get in the water, especially in long pools, did you ever see how far the waves move?
As far as the release, it doesn't matter much to me where the trout gets off, whether in my hand or a long distance release. If I'm fishing a wild trout stream, it's being released anyway.

Back