Always up Crayfish ;-)(needs practice)

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Crayfish if used for an attractor pattern it should involve the craws IMO.
Here is one I'm working on, some of the materials are cheap and cool. Make it your own.

Using a size 4 streamer hook upside down tie in weight from the head about 3/4 to the hook. I was using .035 lead.

Cut Offray ribbon like this:
Pic
You can get it at Wal-mart for $2.50 but you get 1 1/2" X 9 feet. Its lined with wire. Pull the wire out and keep it.

Tie into the hook like claws.
Pic2

Next is the cool stuff:
Pic3
Fun fur can be bought at Wal-mart also for $2.97 and you get 64 yards of it :)

Tie loop Claws over the Offray Claws.
Pic4

Next add one marabou claw to each.
Pic5

Next add 4 Pheasant Tail feathers to one side of fly. Using 2 to make one side of a claw, flip next two upside down so they face the other way.
Pic6
Pic7
As you do this be sure to work plenty on thread into and around all this stuff your adding. Manipulate the mess until it forms the way you want.
Like this.Pic8
Pull the mess forward in the end. And get a good tie on it all.
Pic9
Then let go.
Pic10
Do the other side the exact same way with 4 more pheasant Tail feathers.
Form and manipulate thread and claws like last side.
Pic11
Now grab both sides of the mess at the same time and pull forward and tie like this.
pic12

At this point you might want to add a dab of glue.
Pull the mess straight back and get you thread towards the hook and away from the body.

Cut Offray ribbon like this
Pic13

Pull at sides and remove center threads till you have something like this:
Pic 14
I might use this stuff in diff colors for easy scud - cressbug tops.

Tie into the cray fish head like this:
Pic15
Tie it in good using X pattern winding. Also at this point add 2long strands of peacock herl with a 4 strands of crystal flash to make antennas.Get thread back on other side and lift up top of crayfish.
Pic16

Tie in fun fur body complete with legs. Trim legs how you want.
Pic17

Fold Offray ribbon over top of fly. Cut to size and lift tail up over eyelit.
Pic18
Pic19

Apply epoxy or super glue to top of body. If using super glue it make smoke a little. Be careful.
Pic20

Glue/Cut thread. Flip fly over. and glue down foam to Offray claws.
Pic 21

Finished product:
SDC12506.jpg

SDC12508.jpg

SDC12510.jpg

Test in bowl of water. You want the claws up in the air but not up ending the fly.Trim them to be smaller if need be. I had too because I used a little too much foam. Just dont cut any of you antenna or claw feathers when you do.

SDC12517.jpg

Add epoxy eyes if you wish.

Look at them legs :) Fly sits upside down so its a good bottom roller. This fly has a ton of action and the fly always sits in fighting position, this fly is always up! A sure way to grab the attention of a big Smallie!

Good Luck!

Nicely done.
There's a school of thought among smallie guys that craw patterns should have smaller, less conspicuous claws as this invites more strikes from fish that deliberately avoid craws with large claws. I'm not sure about this theory and tend to think that the flowing motion of long flies like yours really tend to attract bass.

Thanks!
Its still a work in progress. I wanted to add this pic. The fly looks like so much when its totally dry and way to big.

Here is a pic of it wet beside a size 4 black bugger.
SDC12524.jpg

Shows how small it actually is.

I can't wait to make this pattern perfect.

I agree with you that longer flowing claws likely attract bass. They may avoid the claws when attacking it but I bet its a trigger to get them in the mood.

Anyways thanks again.

Back