Alright TU, you got me…

wgmiller

wgmiller

Take my $26, TU. Those are some sweet member perks, in addition to supporting the global organizational cause.

IMG 2283

IMG 2282

When am I going to get my offer in the mail? I could use a new sling pack to donate to someone just starting out!

When am I going to get my offer in the mail? I could use a new sling pack to donate to someone just starting out!
Just got this in the mail. I’d say give it a few days and if you don’t see anything, hop online. I was a member at one point, but haven’t been for a number of years. Curious as to if this is for new members or any 2024 new/renewal 🤷‍♂️

I received those same gifts a few years ago. The sling is well made. The knife is quite cheap but better than nothing.

Just got this in the mail. I’d say give it a few days and if you don’t see anything, hop online. I was a member at one point, but haven’t been for a number of years. Curious as to if this is for new members or any 2024 new/renewal 🤷‍♂️
I just tried to login to the website. Maybe I am not even a member now. I wonder when my membership expired if I am not, but it kept telling me that it could not find my email address.

Yeah, that knife is no doubt first rate garbage. It is only the sling pack that I would be interested in.

I wonder how much is spent on those gifts

It took me at least 4 months to get my membership card in the mail when renewing. I called several times asking about it. There was/is some maintenance going on or something like that to their system.

I wonder how much is spent on those gifts
Probably not all that much. I am sure they acquire products quite cheaply due to obtaining them in bulk. I do wonder how much they spend on staffing, salaries, etc.

Also, the real question is: How much do incentives help grow membership, thereby stimulating more money coming in? I have never been persuaded to join any of these groups due to incentives. I have never received anything from TU other than Trout magazine, which I really don't care about, and a calendar every year.

It looks like they are trying to reach out to lapsed members. Regular members get the magazine already. Non-members cannot receive the magazine or but it retail. Thanks for doing your part.

Probably not all that much. I am sure they acquire products quite cheaply due to obtaining them in bulk. I do wonder how much they spend on staffing, salaries, etc.

Also, the real question is: How much do incentives help grow membership, thereby stimulating more money coming in? I have never been persuaded to join any of these groups due to incentives. I have never received anything from TU other than Trout magazine, which I really don't care about, and a calendar every year.
Their annual report spells out how the dollars are divided. I think 90% goes to boots on the ground and 10% is administrative. Pretty good ratio if I recall.

Renewing members get the magazine and calender. The first year I joined they gave me a hat.

Their annual report spells out how the dollars are divided. I think 90% goes to boots on the ground and 10% is administrative. Pretty good ratio if I recall.
Yes as a 503-C they have to file an extensive annual report regarding where the money goes including salaries. The government is very fussy about money, they don't want it to be stolen, unless they are the bandit!

Got my letter today as well. I have a stack of the little notepads they send and enough return address stickers to last the rest of my life.

Those return stickers are excellent for gun raffle tickets, Chinese raffles.

Read it. It may not be a membership. It's a flat donation. I didn't mind giving extra but I kept getting letters saying I was going to expire and I had sent them 40 bucks in October on this offer. So I called. Nice lady explained to me that it was a gift and I'd still need to renew my membership. So I did. And they sent me a whole other set of stuff. I'll probably go back to re-upping locally like I used to.

I also have the sling from a previous offer. last year I think. Not bad. I couldn't tell you where the knife is, but it was no Old Timer...

Also, I believe membership counts for very little besides leverage, meaning TU can say it has this many members. In that way it is worth giving the stuff away to attract warm bodies/strength in numbers.

It is only the sling pack that I would be interested in.

FWIW, I've purchased that exact pack off Amazon. It' s currently 18 bucks.

It's OK.

It's very well suited for a minimalist angler or small stream fisherman. I did make some modifications like adding a second strap to prevent flopping around (like most purpose made fishing packs have). Also, I sewed a stop on the main zipper so that it can't be accidently opened all the way allowing stuff to spill out, and cut off the carry handle because it was catching on brush and such.

Last edited:
I have an Orvis Sling Pack I've been using for years. I would donate this one to my BIL I took fly fishing for the first time last year. He could use it.

Back