Allenberry in 2019

BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

Followed with interest the revitalization of Alllenberry, where the spark of interest in fly fishing first struck me as a kid attending a wedding there in the 70s. Has access to the water there changed with the new management? Would love to return to the place where it all started for me.

The public is allowed to fish Allenberry and can access through the resort area now. Until recently, anglers had to walk down from the Run.

However - and this needs to be emphasized - anglers must park at the top in the first, gravel lot on the left. Many of you will remember that as the old "fisherman's parking lot." From there you can walk down to the water. This was required by the previous management and was in effect for decades. . . but was widely violated by anglers who ignored the signs and parked down on the grass anyway. Going forward, please respect this policy.

The new resort has a fleet of golf carts and staff. If you're handicapped or limited mobility, you can contact the resort and they will try to get a golf cart to get you down to the water.

Again, please park at the top.

Unless things have "just changed". The Allenberry side of the creek and the old "fishermans parking is off limits to fisherman. They are allowed to access the stream from the far side. The owner has an issue with fishermen walking through events ie weddings and private gatherings.

I always parked on "the other side."

I don't care one way or the other but if the new owner is still allowing access to a section he could easily close within his legal property rights in PA...

I would show respect, not stir the pot and give an indirect nod of thanks and instead park by the Run or in town and walk down to the Allenberry Stretch.

It really isn't much further a walk than from the back parking lot by the Lodge and there isn't a hill to deal with either. ;-)

joebamboo wrote:
Unless things have "just changed".

Yes, this is a new policy and current as of Wednesday. If I get new info or the situation continues to change, I'll update the readership.

All,
My personal opinion on this is that we ought to be discreet when visiting Allenberry. Like many of you, I too have long loved fishing there, but as Bamboozle points out, we can still access from up above. If there's a special event going, like wedding pics etc, give 'em a wide berth and keep a low profile. It would probably not be a good thing if we all decided to fish there tomorrow.

Let's be gratefull for Allenberry's hospitality and try in the future to be better about respecting their parking rules.

Thank you for this update. In this world of pay to play outdoor pursuits, I am grateful for landowners and businesses that allow such access. Let’s hope our fellow anglers show their gratitude and respect.

I will put in a plug for the Allenberry. They have really upgraded it. I stayed in one of the cabins last summer and my wife and I had a great getaway.

I got to do some evening and early morning fishing and during the day we had fun in the area.

I'm glad to hear they have opened access again, but it is a bit more upscale and I do feel out of place tromping around in waders.

I fished the Allenberry section Sun 3/31 and was surprised to be the only one there, caught a few, one being an eighteen inch rainbow

The water has been up and not many feel comfortable wading in those conditions.

Hi folks, I'm new here and enjoy fishing the breeches in this area. Our wedding reception was at Allenberry, love the place. I "thank them" for the access, in part, by patronizing their shop and restaurant. If access were cut off, I'd go back to parking at "The Run" and probably eating at Allenberry less frequently. I enjoy the Boiling Springs Tavern also, though I've been eating at Allenberry more often following the reopening.

Back