Allen Fly Fishing

thavelka

thavelka

I am considering purchasing an Allen Trout series II fly reel and an Allen Heritage 6 wt. 9 ft fly rod. Fish mostly for stream/river trout but would like to start chasing some smallmouth bass during the summer months. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on Allen Fly reels/rods? Currently fishing with an Orvis Clearwater 5wt rod and Orvis Battenkill Click/Pawl reel. Thanks in advance for any input.

thavelka wrote:
I am considering purchasing an Allen Trout series II fly reel and an Allen Heritage 6 wt. 9 ft fly rod. Fish mostly for stream/river trout but would like to start chasing some smallmouth bass during the summer months. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on Allen Fly reels/rods? Currently fishing with an Orvis Clearwater 5wt rod and Orvis Battenkill Click/Pawl reel. Thanks in advance for any input.

A 6 wt is a good rod choice for someone to choose if they had to pick one rod to fish for both trout and smallies. But a 6wt is really a rather heavy trout rod, and kind of a light bass rod, especially in the big rivers and when using bigger flies and/or sinking lines.

Since you already have a great 5wt rod for trout, a 6wt would be just a little heavier, so why not consider going to a 7wt for smallies. It's a great weight rod for smallmouth and you can more easily handle largemouth flies, fish for steelhead and light saltwater, and it also can be a great streamer rod for big river trout. A good 7wt can handle decent sized flies as well as decent sized fish and as well can easily handle sinking lines for big water or deep lakes.

Good luck with any rod you choose.

Agree with Afish ^ Make it a 7WT.

I use my 7 for throwing trout streamers but it is much better for river bass fishing.

Allen FFing is a sponsor of our site (see ad above) and many of our readers like their products.

I own a trout II and like it for the price. I also got a spare spool cheap during the yearly sales (pink, however, not that there's anything wrong with that...) The only downside is the drag is not waterproof and will slip big time if you are not aware. A quick dunk, like holding between your legs for a quick release, is fine. Lay it in the water to photograph a big fish, and be prepared for the felt drag to get wet and slip on you completely. I have learned to hang the rod on my neck or bite it, but the next step up to the waterproof drag would be my call if the money is not an issue, especially because some similarly priced reels have a sealed drag.

I have a two different Allen rods (4wt and 5 wt) and a Trout II reel and I like them all very much. Haven't had any issues yet, and the 5 wt Alluvion is a back up for my Orvis Recon, and I'm starting to like it more than the recon...

I love my Allen rod and reels. I have a 5 wt Alluvion and it casts nicely. And their customer service is top notch as well. You won't be disappointed.

I've used (but don't own) Allen rods and reels and they are just fine. I also think a - weight is a good choice but what others have said it is a little light for bass but I'd still buy the 6 weight. It is more than adequate for most bassing situations. Yes, you may feel undergunned on the large rivers but it is also a great rod for redbreast and rock bass fishing. 6 weight would be the only fly rod I'd have if I was limited to one. With that said I own 3 6 weights and rarely use them as my fiberglass 4 and 7/8 weights do most of fishing..

Question: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this may be relevant. What about a 10' 6 or 7 wt. for big rivers (v. 9')? The extra foot may help with distance and line control on big water.

Side question: Does the extra foot move the flex point? What I mean is, if the rod is fast action with a tip-flex, would adding a foot move that flex point down the blanks some?

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Question: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this may be relevant. What about a 10' 6 or 7 wt. for big rivers (v. 9')? The extra foot may help with distance and line control on big water.

Side question: Does the extra foot move the flex point? What I mean is, if the rod is fast action with a tip-flex, would adding a foot move that flex point down the blanks some?

Good point from Fly-Swatter ^

Longer rods are not necessarily better unless you find a particular rod that casts and fishes well for you. My everyday smallie rod and my favorite rod to cast of all the rods I own is my 10' 7wt H2.

The extra foot seems to help make distance cast easier because because the length of the casting stroke is longer. Also the extra foot seems to add an extra gear to the rod on the top end of performance. In addition, line management considerations like holding more line off the water to avoid drag and mending are easier with the longer rod. Plus the longer loads the rod easier with a bigger D loop for roll casts as well as the ability to do a modified single-handed spey cast.

Good stuff.

Reels are solid IMO - have had one for quite a few years. Saw one fly off the roof of a jeep at 60mph and it continued to work just fine.

Wow, Bruno! You are really lucky or that real is a tank.

Many years ago i dropped an Orvis Battenkill 3 feet onto blacktop and it bent the main shaft. It was useless after that.

Maybe I'm just unlucky!

I have a Allen Omega II and a Alan Atlas. Both reels are excellent. The Omega II is a better reel but not so much as preclude buying the Atlas which I think is one of the best reels for the money. My only complaint is that many color options are never available.

Back