Allen 3/4 Trout Reel

NorthBranch

NorthBranch

Hey guys,

Rather than trying to find a spare spool for my Ross Cimarron, I thought I might just pick up an Allen Reel if I can get one on sale, or with a discount (yes, I signed up).

Anyhow, the 3/4 reel use to be the 3/5 reel. Has anybody put a 5wt WF line on the 3/4 reel WITH some backing? Better yet, does anybody have a 5wt SA GPX or Rio Grande line on the 3/4 reel WITH some backing.

The reel may run into some "nasty" smallmouths, and some backing may come in handy, but I'm trying to keep the rod/reel combo as light as possible.

I'll leave my 5wt Wulff TT on the Cimarron and use that strictly for trout.

Thanks

NB, I use a 5wt Allen reel with the 5 1/2 weight Rio Clouser line and really like it. Its on a first generation 5wt Allen rod that is pretty fast and the heavy line put the speed right where I like it.

Thank troutpoop,

Is the reel you have the 3/4 Trout reel (previously the 3/5)?

I've caught smallmouths up to 4+ lbs on a flyrod. Number of times I got into the backing = 0.

I have an Allen Trout 3/5 on my 5 weight and I definitely have some backing just not a whole bunch of backing. 75 or 100 yards of backing (in addition to your 90 foot fly line) should cover your worst case scenario. Just avoid stripers, salmon, and muskies...

Why don't you just get the 5/6 if you're worried. How light is your 5 weight rod? I have the old 5/7 now 5/6 on my 6 weight.

You'll like the reel.

albatross wrote:
I have an Allen Trout 3/5 on my 5 weight and I definitely have some backing just not a whole bunch of backing. 75 or 100 yards of backing (in addition to your 90 foot fly line) should cover your worst case scenario. Just avoid stripers, salmon, and muskies...

Why don't you just get the 5/6 if you're worried. How light is your 5 weight rod? I have the old 5/7 now 5/6 on my 6 weight.

You'll like the reel.

Thanks albatross,

My 5wt is 2.8 oz, and I want to keep the reel as light as possible. If I can get 30 yards of backing on the 3/4 reel with the 5 1/2 weight line, that will be more than enough.

Here is a pic of my alpha 3/4 and 5/6. The 3/4 has SA GPX WF3FDT with about 50 yds. of backing and the 5/6 has cortland 555 WF5F with 100 yds. of backing.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    800 KB · Views: 2
I have the original 3/5. I have some backing on it but for reels of that size it is just filler for me. I would thing do know people get into their backing on the 4 or 5 weights, just not me so far.

Excellent!

Those pics are great flyfinger7. The DT lines always take up a lot more space on a reel than a WF. Based on that pic, I'm quite sure I can get a 5wt GPX with some backing on the 3/4 Trout reel. Again, the backing will only be insurance in case I get the smallie of a lifetime on the outfit. I've caught a good number of 20" plus trout on my reels and can't ever remember getting into the backing.

I'm guessing that you really like the Allen reels... correct?

I have had only 1 minor issue with them that being the drag freezing up. You can beat the price and warranty.

flyflinger7 wrote:
I have had only 1 minor issue with them that being the drag freezing up. You can beat the price and warranty.

Did they fix the drag freezing up issue, or is this something that still occurs occassionaly?

They had some issues with extra friction on the drag system when it gets wet in their first generation or so reels. I just sent my Alpha 9/10 back and they fixed it for free. I also have the 3/4 trout and it's a great little reel too. Fell on stream and bent the frame into the spool. They shipped me out a new one in a few days. The customer service there has been increasingly better as time has gone on.

Glad they got it fixed. I'm looking forward to an Allen reel or two.

Back