Allegheny River below spillway

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

I'm taking a family road trip in late June out Rt. 6 from NEPA to celebrate my son graduating from HS. We are staying in Warren at least 2 nights and plan a slow canoe & kayak float one day during the trip, starting at Kinzua Tailwaters Boat Ramp and ending in Warren.

I have never fished this water. I will have my 5WT, 8WT, and maybe my 10WT plus medium spin gear with the though of testing this water.

If you have experience with the river from the spillway to Warren, please share.

Also, any general or specific info on wild trout spots in the area would be very much appreciated.

It's a big river to fish. With big fish to catch. Big browns, bass, muskey, walleye, and pike. You name it it's in there. Look for the faster moving water that dumps into the deeper pools. Look around big rocks. There are also islands so fish around them. You might want to try the 8wt out, allthough the 5wt might get you by. Some of the trout get big. Throw streamers, mudders, crayfish, and stuff like that. Some hatches do happen also, so pay attention. Good luck!

tip told to me browns in the side channels and rainbows in the main channel. lot of water. Good luck.

Cool! Thanks for the tips.

I fished that last year boy that's big water can catch about anything in there it's worth going too Outcast anglers has a good guide up in that area have seen some big browns come out on that water system. Good luck to you.

F-Swatter: I just sent you a PM. More about the wild trout opportunities than the river fishery...

Got it. Great info! Thank you.

Now if they would just utilize the bottom release , wow what a fishery that would be.....

Remember the PFBC tailwater projects? Seems that we do but they forgot all about it.

been asking for years the USACE will not budge want to keep it warm in the summer for the river riders. Would rival the Del for a true tail water.

So far as I am concerned, the river is fine just the way it is. The best of both worlds and the variety of fisheries offered by each. You just have to pick your times.

I'd be very unhappy if the Corps made these sorts of changes to the flows. In fact, I'd probably be inclined to join in a legal challenge to block it.

Please excuse the tenor of my previous post.. Yesterday was not a very good day and I was in the sort of mood that used to come over me as a kid when I fell off my bike and skinned both elbows and both knees. Pretty irritable..

I would still vigorously oppose changing the releases at Kinzua to create an all-season tailwater trout fishery. The river has suffered enough, IMO, without having to put up with this.

But if it were to happen (which I do not believe likely anyway..); while I would be dismayed, I certainly would not be such a PITA about it that I would seek or advocate legal remedies. I've never been like that and I'm not about to start now.

I am unquestionably getting older and more cranky, but not that cranky...:)

I just want to bump this thread to see if there is any current intel on Kinzua area, especially on the river. For example: 1) what size/color baitfish for Bass and Pike?; 2) The river temp has fluctuated between 58 and 70...should I expect trout large to be active or focus on WW species?

We are headed out to Warren in a few days. Thanks in advance for any additional helpful info.

I was up there two weeks ago.
Planned on floating it with a buddy who has a two man kayak.
I called a place in Warren called Allegheny Outfitters, and asked if they would be open, and able to shuttle us the next day - a sunday. Was told that they would be open and able to shuttle us for sure
So, we went up in one vehicle. Only to find the place was closed that day. And dragged that big kayak up for nothing.
Good luck if you're planning on dealing with them.

We did find places to access the river though - mostly on hemlock road on the west side of the river - and wade fished it.
The flow then was 1600 CFS - which made for rather easy wading. And the water temp was 66 degrees
We did find a few bugs hatching - mostly caddis. And a few fish rising sporadically here and there - mostly around the numerous islands, and in the tailouts of the larger pools
Caught a few nice fish trout in the 14 to 18 inch range - browns and rainbows.
I've been told that there are many larger than that there, though

I don't have any "current" intell, sorry.

Dryflyguy, that's a bummer, but in the future, in case that happens to you again... I have a friend who used to use Warren's cab company (yes an actual taxi) to shuttle him before he bought a jet.

D-nymph wrote:
I don't have any "current" intell, sorry.

Dryflyguy, that's a bummer, but in the future, in case that happens to you again... I have a friend who used to use Warren's cab company (yes an actual taxi) to shuttle him before he bought a jet.

Hmmm - never thought of that.
It is only about a 7 mile shuttle I believe

Where's my fishing report?!?! LoL

Ah, right. So, it was beautiful weather...

I had a mid-sized musky follow up to the canoe. I had 4 hits from pike, landed one just under 30". I saw one nice smallie, but that's it.

There were bugs hatching and trout sipping and fly fishers fly fishing. I had no chance to do any of that.

I was with my 18 year old belligerent son and my wife who wanted to see a lot of scenery (not slow down and focus on fishing). These things plus the bluebird sunny day and the smallies in post-spawn are my excuses. :)

I haven't caught a pike since I was 16 (over 35 years ago). My dad and I used to take trips to central Quebec camping and fishing for pike & walleye. So, I was thrilled to catch the pike.

My overall impression of this watershed and area vs. the north branch of the Susky (my closes analog) is there are WAY more toothies in this watershed as opposed to the north branch. Another thing I noticed: NEPA has pickerel, NWPA has pike. Overall, it was a cool trip with new waters explored.

PS: We enjoyed the personal guided tour of the national fish hatchery. Very interesting. Did you know: Some lake trout forage species (alewifes??)contain thiaminase (breaks dorn vitamin B1) and that harms the lakers? The hatchery raises and stocks "bloaters" a tiny tarpon-looking forage species (about 6" long) as a replacement. My wife, a dietitian, really enjoyed this info.

Back