Allegheny National Forest Stream, Forest Co, 7-28-2018

Prospector

Prospector

Time Fished: 1pm - 6pm
Weather Conditions: 70 degrees; Mix of sun and clouds
Water Conditions: Clear, 57 degrees, Nice Flow
Insects: Some caddis some large some small, a few small dark mayflies #18, a very nice light Cahill

I fished a small stream in the Allegheny National Forest. The bugs were horrendous but the fishing was very good.

My sister recommended a natural insect repellent (no DEET) that was great at the beach at warding off mosquitos and black flies. I tried it today and had more bugs harassing me than anytime in the past 5 years. Seemed to be more bugs when I passed through areas where ferns were growing. If you go to ANF, be prepared for small stuff.

I used a sinking inchworm and had enough takes to catch 30, all brook trout ranging from 4 to 10 inches. Most were 6”-8”. After catching #30, I only saw 1 more hole above that I wanted to try and then I headed out. The first few hours were slow then as it got closer to evening and clouded up a bit the action really picked up.
When I released the fish they were very lively. It was a good sign to see them speed off.

I saw one other set of boot prints that were made either the day before or earlier on the day I fished.

There were no obvious sign of predators here like most of the native streams I’ve fished this year.

Attachments

• Brookie1 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    Brookie1 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Brookie2 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    Brookie2 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Stream photo1 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    Stream photo1 Jul 28 2018.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 13
  • Stream Photo3 Jul 28 2018.JPG
    Stream Photo3 Jul 28 2018.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Stream Photo4 Jul 28 2018.JPG
    Stream Photo4 Jul 28 2018.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
See if this fixes the orientation on the fish pictures for phone users

Attachments

• Brookie1 Jul 28 2018 orig orientation.jpg
    Brookie1 Jul 28 2018 orig orientation.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Brookie2 Jul 28 2018 Orig orientation.jpg
    Brookie2 Jul 28 2018 Orig orientation.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like a nice and pleasant outing. Looks like a pretty stream as well. I fished my local brookie stream this morning for only about 30 minutes and didn't even see a fish. It is concerning because last year I fished it and I didn't see a fish either. It used to be a brookie factory and I wonder why the population has apparently all but disappeared. Water was a pleasant 58° and flows were perfect.

Beautiful looking stream - and fish!

Nice little "crick," Prospector. Yes, it has been my experience too that small streams have been fishing very well this year. Better than I remember in a long time.

greenghost wrote:
Nice little "crick," Prospector. Yes, it has been my experience too that small streams have been fishing very well this year. Better than I remember in a long time.

It's because of the rains.

In good water years, i.e. summers like this, you catch more good sized fish in small streams for 2 reasons:

1) they grow bigger in good water years.

2) they are easier to catch when the water levels are up.

TB, I bet this year they are also benefiting from less competition due to less fish after drought problems the past two summers/anchor ice this past winter.

Nice brookies, Prospector!

Back