Allegheny musky

T

thesmayway

Ive never targeted warm water species before this year. After getting an 8wt and fishing for snook in FL I'm hooked. I'm heading to the kinzua in a few weeks and wonder if successful musky fishing can be done without a boat? I'll also target bass and big browns, but I'm intrigued by all I am reading about musky. Thanks in advance!

I've never fished the Allegheny so take this with a grain of salt: yes, you can catch them wade fishing. Look for deeper, slower water with cover. This time of year they tend to be in the mid sections of the river but don't pass up a cold water tributary, esp further downriver from Kinzua where the main river is warmer. Bridge pilings or big logs jammed in mid river are good spots, esp in the slack water just below them. You aren't likely to find them in current or riffles but this is possible, esp in summer. River muskies seem to like a bit of stain in the water (like right after a thunderstorm) and bite best in the lower light conditions during the summer.
Since you're just getting into WW fishing, I'd recommend you throw a big streamer in the 5-7" range (anything larger will be tough with an 8WT). Flies this size are on the small side for muskies but will look and feel huge to a WW newbie. And, flies this size will also catch smallies, walleyes, and big brown trout which I'm sure you won't object to. :)
I like natural color streamers when the water is clear (browns, greens, maybe some yellow or white) and bright colors when the water is stained or cloudy (orange, red, chartruese, black, pink etc)

So go get out at dawn and pitch big streamers in the Allegheny. Something interesting may just latch on.

Thanks fish idiot. I'm excited to give it a shot, looks like a nice area so even if I don't hook up it should be a good trip. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a river size brown either.

There is now a fly shop in Warren, I suggest stopping there. Also, be careful.

be careful with their teeth, or be careful wading?

Wading, guys die in the stretch from the dam to Dixon island. And it's not prohibited from the iron pilings to the dam it's self.

what flow should i look for to be safe wading?

and do you guys have a leader recommendation?

If your interested in fly fishing the Kinzua Tailwater you should stop in at Allegheny River Fly Fishing Company in Warren, they know where to go and how to get you rigged up for musky. I tie all the flies they stock so I can guarantee you they have the very best. If you have an 8 wt. I would suggest throwing a 6-8" double deceiver in brown trout or gray/white coloration or any large articulated streamer. A 7" fly will not only attract musky but everything else in the river that eats meat; trout, bass, walleye, pike. Leaders for musky are real simple, I use a 5' section of 60 lb. hard mono followed by a 12" section of 20 lb. hard mono (to act as a weak link if you hang up so you don't break the fly line), and a 15" bite guard of either 80 lb. flouro or wire. It's hard to cast large streamers effectively when wading, casting flies at the bank is much more effective from a boat. Wading safety on the Kinzua Tailwater is something I can not emphasize enough, it is a big river and wading shouldn't be attempted by anybody but an experienced wader. Ideal flows are around 1500 cfs but you can wade up to 2500 but that can get tricky. Always go with a friend and wear a life jacket.

Hope this helps.

Back