All Fishermen Are Liars (New Gierach Book)

I just finished reading it. It is typical Gierach, which is good. I'd read quite a few of the stories previously in FR&R, but they were still enjoyable. The thing I've noticed about Gierach over the years is that he has gone from fishing locally to making road trips in vehicles that could barely get there and back to now making continent-wide fishing expeditions to exotic locations for Labrador brook trout and Atlantic salmon to trips to Alaska for salmon and huge rainbows. He must have done well as a f/f writer! Anyhow, the book is an enjoyable collection of stories about many of his fishing trips.

Just finished reading this book and No Shortage of Good Days on the train to work over the past week. Reading Fool's Paradise now and should have that wrapped up this week.

Generally I'd say they are entertaining if you want to read about fishing, but not read about technique all the time. Nice break from instruction books.

The stories are a bit redundant in reading all 3 within 2 weeks, but if you can get them on the cheap (in my case free, from the library), they are worth a read...

He is one of the few writers who can make me laugh out loud. He has some deep things to say about fishing and life in general--in amidst the humor. The adventures with Tenkara methods were a bit of a surprise for me.... Being a curmudgeonly fisherman myself I have to admire his willingness to try something new.

Back