All around spare spool option for streamers?

JeremyW

JeremyW

So I'm looking for ideas to compliment my WF6F line I use for dries and nymphs. I catch plenty of small bass, and panfish with foam beetles etc. in still water lakes / reservoirs. But I'm looking to add a spare spool, with either a sink tip or full sinking line. I'd like to target larger bass closer to the bottom. So here's the options I'm considering:

1) Full sinking line
2) Sink tip
3) Skagit / spey type line for single hand rods, https://pureskagit.com/pages/commando-system

So if you wanted to just take a spare spool to swap out which would you take?

Also, should I just get rid of the weighted flies and opt to use the weight of the line to get the flies down, and to make casting more fluid?

Best,

Jeremy

Sink tip definitely. Yes, you can use less weight on your flies. It makes casting so much easier and your flies will have much more movement. Go with a very short leader too. I like 4-6', but I've seen many people use less. Even consider a 7wt line on your 6wt rod. I like a heavier rod like an 8wt when I am fishing from my boat.

I have two spare spools for my current 6 wgt reel. One with an intermediate line, the other has a sink tip. At one point I had a full sinking line on the older reel, but I kept getting snagged on rocks and sunken timber. When I replaced the reel, the owner of the shop suggested I get a sink tip line for one of the spare spools for the new one. If I remember the logic correctly, it's been a while, with a full sinking line, the line will continue to sink as you retrieve it which explains the snags. With the sink tip, only the tip portion is sinking when you start your retrieve it will lift off the bottom. Depending on the speed of your retrieve, you can maintain a level retrieve back to the boat. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Most of my flies are either unweighted or lightly weight. The only ones I want to fish on the bottom are my crayfish patterns. I use 1/32 oz dumbbell eyes for those. Just enough weight to keep the hook point up.
I like to fish foam patterns, like Crease flies or sliders, off the sink tip line. Usually in water 5 to 8 feet deep.
The leader length depends on the depth of the water. The fly will float in the surface film with the sink tip on the bottom. As you strip the line in the fly will dive toward the bottom, when you pause the strip, the fly will float toward the surface. It should work in deeper water also. Normally, I'll fish a 5 to 7 foot leader off the sinking line if I'm planning on doing a straight retrieve.

I second the notion to not run full sink because of the snags. You can also attach a poly leader (sink tip attachment) to a floating line. This is a bit clunky to cast because of the connection of the poly leader to the line. Sink tip is just plain better. I like to run a poly leader off of an intermediate line or floating line when wade fishing so I can take it off to fish surface patterns, although I hate fishing surface patterns with an intermediate line. Some people are ok with this.

I made a bunch of lead core "heads" that I used to put between the line and leader. Make some 6 inchers and couple 12 inchers. Was able to get to the bottom fishing from a float tube. I only use them now at the beach when I need to get my spare intermediate line down further.

Back