airline flight with 4 piece rods

H

highland

I will be flying out of Pittsburgh, Pa. on United Airlines, can I carry-on my flyrods or check them in baggage? Tried calling United (what a mess that is) any advice would be appreciated. I will be staying in the lower 48 states. Thank You

I've flown out of Pittsburgh and haven't had any problem taking my rods on as carry on baggage.

Here's the United carry on policy.

You shouldn't have any problem carrying it on and stowing it the the overhead BUT make sure it's in a aluminum or very sturdy tube and has a tag with all your info on it, just in case you are asked to check it at the terminal, gate, or when entering the plane because someone changed their mind or for lack of space in the overhead.

Checking with the airline ahead of time rarely works because everyone has a different answer, and when you add the TSA in the mix, the whole thing becomes a real "cluster" at the airport.

Where ya going to fish? Post a report. Good luck.

Highland

Not sure if you would be able to, but I generally pack my 4 piece rods in with my clothes in my suitcase as a check-in. I put the rod tube in the middle of my clothes so there are clothes surrounding the rod (and gives some cushion.

However, if you are just taking the rod tube with you, I don't see the problem with taking it as a carry on. I think a lot of that depends on what else you are taking on as a carry on. Most airlines allow 1 personal bag and 1 other item (example: I would carry on my computer bag and my mandolin).

Check with the airline when you check in, but be prepared to put it in your suitcase if need be. Or else, you can check in you rod tube at the gate. As afish mentioned, have all your information on the rod tube.

Back