Advice for Studs on Simms Stream-Tred

C

crs5942

I recently bought a pair of Simms boots with the Stream-Tred Vibram rubber soles. I was wondering if anyone has experience or advice with the optional studs and star cleats that can be put on to the soles. Is one better than the other? Are the 1/4" Simms hex studs really any better than the ones at the hardware store? How do these Simms studs and cleats hold up to long distance walking? Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have no experience with the star cleats, but I have been using the regular hard-bite studs from Simms for several years.

Are the 1/4" Simms hex studs really any better than the ones at the hardware store?

Yes, they are better because they have carbide (an incredibly hard substance) in the head and they don't wear out like normal machine screws would. You can expect several years of wear from the Simms studs, while you might have to replace standard steel or aluminum hex screws several times per year due to wear.

I have yet to apply my star studs. Right now I'm fishing Simms vibrams..The advice givem me was to only use a few of them towards the heel of the sole..I woudn't over do it...And you can always twist them off for boat fishing.

not sure about simms but chota came out this year with a pointed carbon steel stud that i have yet to try but i have heard they grip like mad. when my studs are gone , hopefully by march (hehee ) i am gonna purchase the new carbon studs ($20 )

The simms studs last forever, sheet metal screws dont last long if you walk way distances

You can buy a stainless steel hex head screw that last a long time and is still cheap, we used to use snowmobile studs (aka hexhead srews hardened) might get them cheap too. for the price of hex heads I'll stick with them. i keep some xtras in my van for my boots.

before i learned of the carbon steel studs this year , i been using motorcycle ice racing screws , they last quite a while and u get 250 of them for 20 dollars , it takes roughly 25-28 studs for both boots , so i can change em 10 times for 20 bucks ....

Get Grip Studs for you wading boots. They have a wide thread base which keeps them in AND keeps them from puncturing through your soles. And the SOLID tungsten carbide tips don't wear down like the Simm's studs with the little BB's.

I love the traction the Grip Studs gives my rubber wading boots!

I use the Star Cleats. They offer more surface area than regular studs and allow more rubber contact. With regular studs you are walking on them and thats it. The Star Cleats sit lower in the sole and gives a mix contact surface. This way you aren't skating on dry rocks. After fishing Penns with just the regular vibram boots and Patagonia sticky rubber boots, it was either a wading staff or the star cleats. Got the star cleats and haven't found the need for a staff. Here is a link to a great review of rubber soled boots with and without studs. Hope this helps.

http://troutunderground.com/2010/04/29/the-underground-posts-the-mother-of-all-rubber-soled-wading-boot-reviews-and-comes-to-a-few-surprising-conclusions/

I experimented quite a bit with the studs over the last 6 months and found that placing them on the outside perimeter of the boot sole is definitely the way to go. Better traction and more comfortable. This set up seems to allow the Vibram soles to flex and grip the rock better while allowing the studs to grab the stone when needed. I have the hex studs and find they work well, though I think they are grossly overpriced (and I typically don't complain about these things). If I was doing it over again I would use stainless steel hardware screws (with coarse threading) or I would step up to the star cleats for $10 more.

I recently got the 3-prong studs. I was very shocked at how well the grip. In fact, they are like having superglue on the soles compared to felt. Much less give than with felt soles. They are new, so maybe they will lose the sticky feeling.

Back