Advice for my trip to the black hills and Montana

chrisdm4

chrisdm4

Finally doing our trip out to Montana to see my fiancee uncle that lives in Bozeman (leaving July 11th). Of course we will be fishing the whole way out there. We are making stops at the badlands (staying in Wall SD) and then spending 2 days in the black hills (staying in keystone SD) before we head to Bozeman for a week. This trip is mostly going to be for just hiking but we will be fishing when we can. I do have a full day float trip with Montana angler set up for one day when we get to Montana. Can't wait!!

Anyways my question for you guys is has anyone fished the black hills around keystone? We will be hiking Harney Peak for sure and some other small hikes in Custer state park. Also anywhere we could fish on the way out to Bozeman? Her uncle is going to take us to some spots on the Gallatin since he lives only a couple miles from the river (lucky guy). Any help will be great!!

No actual info but I caught my first trout as a kid on an outing with a distant relative near Custer state park - was a narrow but deep meadow / hills creek from what i recall - quite lovely

Enjoy!

I cut my FF teeth in the Black Hills of SoDak. I vividly remember my grandpa putting up hay along Spring Creek while I fished. I used his old fly rod with a single hook. I caught live hoppers in the hayfield he was cutting and would use them as my "fly". The trout absolutely smashed the live hoppers on the water surface. And so my obsession started even though I didn't fully realize it until I moved from SoDak to PA.

If you're staying near Keystone, I'd recommend Rapid Creek (above and below Pactola Lake), Castle Creek (above and below Deerfield lake), and Spring Creek (above and below Sheridan Lake). Spring Creek is mostly stocked trout. The hoppers should be around come July. I love fishing a hopper on Castle Creek (Above Deerfield) shortly below where Ditch Creek enters it. Castle below Deerfield is extremely scenic and peaceful and the closer you get to the dam, the better the fishing. Rapid below Pactola all the way to Rapid City is an amazing fishery but I'm pretty sure there is dam work being done so flows haven't been stable.

My brother in law, who still lives in SoDak, loves Spearfish creek but it's further away than the streams I mentioned above. Feel free to PM if you have questions. I've spent many summers in the Hills. Pretty sure there's a fly shop in Rapid. Dakota Angler?

While in SoDak, I recommend a hike in Bad Lands NP. I also recommend you stop at the Crazy Horse monument, I feels is better than Rushmore. also swing by Devil's tower.

Hey Bozeman-get someone to drive you up to bridger bowl ,hike to the top of bridgers and walk back to the M.About ten miles and no better view in Montana.You will love it but take full canteens as snow will probably be gone.You can go up the easy way-trail to top-you will see it or next ridge to the south-tougher but more fun.If you aren't into climbing the path on top of bridgers will give you the whole shebang--sawtooths that will test your nerve[stand up or crawl] etc...or go south of Bozeman and do the Spanish peaks----go to Billings and fish your way to Bozeman-dozens of fine rivers will empty into the Yellowstone..
Key word-ridge-
always ridge it up or down--the gullies in between have too soft rock and dirt for serious climbing.

if you have the time you might want to go in the east entrance to Yellowstone from the black hills.Deadwood worth visiting.Don't mean to belabor the subject but good advice from someone who made all the mistakes. If you do peak out[top of mountains above timberline ] and don't have a guide once you come back down into woods very easy to go off on a side ridge and end up miles from where you wanted to be and caught up in the downfall.Panic time..be careful and have fun but at least once go away from tourist trails and find yourself all alone in the world where the only sounds of other humans might be a plane..An experience you will treasure for a lifetime. Also go high enough where you are in the flowers and secret glades -another unforgettable and if you don't find yourselves singing"the hills are alive------'
Wish I was young enough to go back and do it again---30 years as a ridge runner out there.It doesn't get any better.

Thanks for all the information guys! For our main hike we want to do Sacagawea Peak in the Gallatin National Forest. We are defiantly going to hike a lot in the badlands. Have around 10 miles set up right now. We hike a lot in the Adirondacks bagging peaks so we are used to hard hikes and they are our favorites! hoping to get on some back country hikes. Hate being around tons of people.

millsertime,
Thanks for the information on the streams! I will look into them and see if we can get to them when we are there.

If you have the time stop to see the Little Big Horn Battlefield, and then go up to the Big Horn River for some fishing. The battlefield is just east of Billings.

That is something that we really want to do on our way to MT. Hope we can make it all happen! Leave in almost one week cant wait!

I just read a good FF article in the most recent F&S magazine today. It talked about FFing in the Black Hills. Good article to check out before you head out.

I will differently look up that article. We leave tomorrow so i will hopefully be posting some photos of fish for you guys!

Hey Chris, greetings from back home. Hope you and your fiancee are enjoying your trip. I was curious how you made out with your Black Hills fishing. I'm heading out to Sturgis at the end of the month and am going to make time for fishing while I'm out there.

Anyone have any opinions/thoughts/info on Rapid Creek vs Spring Creek?

Back