Acidic streams

TimB

TimB

I'm looking for a little help. Does anyone know of any specific streams in SE PA that are impacted by either acid mine drainage or other causes that have dropped the streamwater to pH levels that seriously impact trout viability?

My daughter is working on a school project that requires her to gather acidic streamwater (could also be stillwater) samples. I know some streams in the NE and North Central parts of the state that would fit the bill, but I'm looking for something accessible and close to home. Know any streams in the Lancaster/York/Hbg area that are somewhat easy to access (since she may need to gather samples on several occasions)?

Thanks in advance,

Tim B.

Tim

Check your email. :)

Tim,
Notrth Kill in Berks County has very low acidity, but I'm not sure why, Swatara Creek is AMD impacted, Evening Branch has both AMD and acid rain problems, The entire Schuylkill Drainage above Blue Mt. is wrought with AMD and acid precipitation problems.
Chaz

Seems there is also a lot of concern about the effects of prescription drugs entering our streams and rivers through water treatment facilities, causing reproductive problems in the fish? Any new reports on this???

littlejuniata wrote:
Seems there is also a lot of concern about the effects of prescription drugs entering our streams and rivers through water treatment facilities, causing reproductive problems in the fish? Any new reports on this???

Birthcontrol pills (which is estrogen), in the water supply are turning male fish into females.

We often drink the same water. This stuff can't be treated at the present time.

No wonder Brokeback Mountain was such a popular movie.

The Estrogen also comes from treatments for menopause. They've got to find a way to filter that stuff out of our water.

Chaz, Pad,

thanks for the suggestions, both here and offline. Both of you mentioned Evening Branch, so we'll check that out. I was also trolling on the DEP and EPA sites and looked at what they call the 303d list and looked up pH effected streams in PA. In addition to some well known ones, it listed several small feeders to the Yellow Breeches as well, so we can poke around over that way too.

thanks again and Happy Holidays,

tim

Back