Accessing the Donegal

N

nomad_archer

I'm thinking of wondering over to the Donegal this winter but I can't seem to figure out where to access the stream. I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to offer some insight on where to park and access the stream. Also is it fishable in the winter?

There are a number of pulloffs along Donegal Creek Road, above route 23. There's a gated access road to an old quarry up close to where Donegal Creek Road intersects with Long Lane; there's a driveway that goes back beside what used to be a red barn and the guy that owns that now has been known to try and intimidate anglers from parking there, so stay out of his yard. But you can park along the road and walk back the driveway and then down the gated access road. That area often receives a majority of the stocked fish. You can also park along route 772 upstream and walk downstream.

For winter fishing, I've only fished it a few times in the winter and never did well. One time was a few months after a fall stocking, where buckets were dumped in one hole. I couldn't scare up a trout, and managed to chase out only a sucker or two a little ways upstream from that hole. But, it's a limestoner that holds wild browns, so never say never about fish being there, especially in winter.

Thank you for the information. I went over this past weekend and fished a portion of the ffo section. I caught a few chubs and didn't see a trout. Seemed like a very interesting stream so I'll be back.

Back