About fly lines

0rchy

Choosing a fly line

The most expensive are usually the best however they needn’t be; never stretch a fly line, store it off the reel when finished using it, never bully out coils and it will soon be on par with the best; gaining advantage months later.

About Fly Lines

Fly lines are usually made from braided dacron & coated with PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) the quality of both is the price paid.

Some Facts

Some years ago I was stripping the PVC sheath from the braid of a fly line (to make a float), & noticed how tight the PVC was on the braid.
I have worked on forcing machines that sheath wires & cables for the auto & commercial trade. On ordinary stranded copper wires the sheath can easily be removed, (for example when stripping the sheath off to fit a plug) this is because the melting temperature of the PVC cannot reach the melting temperature of the copper. When sheathing cores for example Blue, Brown, & Lt Green/ Yellow, a chalk has to be applied to the three stranded cores to allow the outer sheath to be removed from the three inner cores. On very rare occasions not enough chalk would coat the three cores, when this happens; the outer sheath melts & fuses to the three inner cores this is because the PVC can match the melting temperature of the cores, making it very difficult, or even impossible to be removed. If the sheath could be removed by using more force the inner copper wires would be slightly stretched & become thinner. Quality would have to check if the cable meets the BSS (British Safety Standards) requirements. If the copper wires falls below the minimum size; or the pull test of the PVC sheath exceeds the BSS tolerance, it would certainly be rejected.

The PVC sheath of a fly line does not need to be removed from the inner braid, so nothing is applied to stop the fusion made by the high temperature of the PVC on the inner strength of the fly line which is the braid.

I believe manufactures are wrong to tell the purchaser of a fly line to stretch the lines in order to remove coils caused by the fly reel; they should not be there in the first place. A braid has virtually no give (once it's sheathed) slight tension would have to be placed on the braid in order for the sheath to be applied. Ok PVC may give, I certainly wouldn’t disturb the natural form in which the PVC was applied, stretching the fly line (not only exaggerates its true form) it does cause stress to the PVC. Rubber should be used for the above method to be applied.

The Symptom & cure

Because of the reasons above I invented the cure (FLR). I knew it would reduce coils however I was stunned by the memory performance. I do know for a fact you should never stretch a fly line as my fly lines have proved with colours. I have far exceeded the lifespan of any fly line; also because they never have coils the memory is exceptional and always noticed by fellow anglers. I’m sure there are a few critics out there who would write me off as some cuckoo and that’s just fine; because the cuckoo is a very clever bird because it doesn’t waste it’s time incubating an egg, then spend all day feeding it.

Cabbage should suit you better.

I don't care much for cabbage. I mean, I enjoy eating halupki, but I usually discard the cabbage to the horror of those around me.

drop the last paragraph-some good points-lol

Back