Abandoned Mine Documentary on Thursday, October 18 Features Trout Unlimited Project

JF_

JF_

FYI for those interested...........
John

Subject: Abandoned Mine Documentary on Thursday, October 18 Features Trout Unlimited Project

October 16, 2007

Amy Wolfe, Trout Unlimited's Director of Abandoned Mine Programs will be interviewed in the public television documentary "Hope for Polluted Waters," which will air on Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's WVIA at 8 p.m. October 18. At 7 p.m., she will participate in a one-hour, call-in talk show on WVIA that will focus on acid mine drainage problems in Pennsylvania.

The film looks at the impact of acid mine drainage in Pennsylvania's eastern anthracite coal region and interviews a number of people in the community who are working to reclaim lifeless streams and to repair damage from unregulated coal mining. Amy Wolfe runs two Pennsylvania programs to restore rivers affected by acid mine drainage there.

Pennsylvania has over 4,600 miles of polluted streams and rivers and over 200,000 acres of scarred and barren land as a result of historic coal mining. Streams that once supported populations of the eastern brook trout are now laden with metals and are far too polluted to support any aquatic life. These dead streams have flowed through communities for decades and many residents consider the problem daunting - or worse, permanent.

Please visit our website for more information about TU's projects in the Kettle Creek watershed and the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.

--
Erin Mooney
Press Secretary
Trout Unlimited

thanks for the heads up. if it is the same one i am thinking of, i caught the last few minutes of it before. thanks for the info

Back