A year later seriously fishing and tying

W

Wet_Fly78

I haven't posted in a while. Life issues. But I have been taking my fishing and tying very seriously since last year after a long hiatus. I have a 20 year old nephew that started getting into fly fishing. As he was asking me for advice, I told him to "Wait a little bit while I put together some thoughts that I think will be sound advice.". Well. This is what I told him, and what I told a couple people I know who are new to fly fishing. Read Trout and Their Food by Dave Whitlock, Reading Trout Water by Dave Hughes, George Daniel's books on nymphing. Learn the principles of casting, and practice when you can. Even 2 times a week, even if it is the motions in your living room during the snowiest winter, will serve you well. As far as flies. Don't complicate it. Adams dry and wet. Adams size 8 to 20 for the dry in different colors, 10 to 14 for the wet. Hare's Ear nymph, soft hackle, wet fly, and dry. Same as a Pheasant Tail (That PT soft hackle has caught me a lot of fish) in sizes 8 to 20 for the nymphs, 12 for the soft hackle, 10 to 14 for the wet fly, 10 to 20 for the dry. Elk Hair Caddis size 14, Letort Hopper size 12, Eggs 10 to 14. That is the complete list. I am more of a minimalist so I use size 16 dry fly, size 14 nymphs and soft hackles, size 10 to 12 on the wet flies. And a bunch of Partridge and orange, green, yellow can't hurt either. And yes. The mop flies work. I've seen it done. YOU can tie and use them. But I won't be a part of that. lol. Where you put that fly, how you present that fly, and how you approach the water will matter more than what fly you are using. As someone new, don't get bogged down into what exactly is hatching. There is a reason why these patterns have stood the test of time. They work. Other suggestions are: Fish your way to the good looking water. First cast on a larger stream should always be made from shore. These are just my simple suggestions for people wanting to take it seriously. I do believe that to catch fish, you need a Pheasant Tail, and a Hare's Ear from nymph to dry and the rest is just details. Oh. And have freaking fun, go explore areas, and take a kid. Hope this helps anyone new to this.

I thing Wetfly 78's suggestions and experiences are pretty good, and mirror some of mine. I've been fly fishing for about 5 years now and have read the books he recommends (plus lots more) and they're good. As for woolly buggers, I see them recommended all the time , but have never caught anything on black or dark brown, Just a blond version.

I thing Wetfly 78's suggestions and experiences are pretty good, and mirror some of mine. I've been fly fishing for about 5 years now and have read the books he recommends (plus lots more) and they're good. As for woolly buggers, I see them recommended all the time , but have never caught anything on black or dark brown, Just a blond version.
I just don't fish wooly buggers or streamers in general. Just not my thing. But I will never say they don't work.

You must not have spent very much time with a black or brown bugger in the water. Without any doubt in my mind, if I only had to have one fly for the rest of my life to fish for all species of fish, no fly would come close to rivaling the mighty woolly bugger.

You must not have spent very much time with a black or brown bugger in the water. Without any doubt in my mind, if I only had to have one fly for the rest of my life to fish for all species of fish, no fly would come close to rivaling the mighty woolly bugger.

Amen. There truly is no wrong way to fish a bugger!

At least one Bugger or their variants should be in everyone's box, tucked awake in the corner of the box

Wooly buggers I have 1 or 2 that’s not including the 20 or so in my boxes 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 25
Back