A Wild Idea

F

FishTales

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/11853167-74/trout-wild-streams

Hope you can make it to the Wild Trout Summit sometime this summer!

Tight Lines,

FT

If only the PAFBC and the Commissioners would listen to fishermen. What we want. How would we grow the sport. How we would protect the resources. Where we see fishing in 5, 10 25 50 years from now. What we see the threats to be.
How we would react to issues that threaten Sport fishing in the state.
Begging seldom get a man what he wants or needs. We see that daily an the street corners of towns&cities across our state.
Jobs are important but the resources are far more valuable than a few dollars thrown at a study that is not read, shared or acted on. If money is really the issue why does a fish need to be consumed for a fishermen to have success?
I hope this meeting and others are a two way street with ideas brought to the tables, discussed and brought back to HQ. Where they are able to be included constructively into actions that benefit the resources and the fishermen.

The OP happens to be the Executive Director of the PAF&BC. Sounds like someone is willing to listen..

This sounds encouraging, and I commend Mr. Arway for the summit idea. Although I think mankind has a larger impact on wild trout than nature.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

I suspect this Arway fellow has ulterior motives....like maybe protecting the environment at large. You better watch it Mr. Arway. When you start doing radical things like standing up for wild trout someone might just accuse you of being a whacko "environmentalist".

I see this as a step in the right direction. I am confident that once a date and location are set, the Paflyfish community will have a few delegates willing to support the wild trout.

I also think its premature to hope for large sweeping changes. Hopefully we can move slowly and steadily towards sound support for the wild fish and the places they call home.

I'll agree with this statement:
" Arway warned that “Mother Nature” has the largest impact on wild trout, courtesy of “environmental variability, floods and drought.”
But only as it applies to short term population swings.

Resource extraction and development, I think are much more eminent long term threats. Far more so than harvest or tackle restrictions, but a little bit of harvest restriction may provide a little cushion for the " environmental variabilities".

All in all, I'm seeing Mr. Arway as very open-minded towards hearing what we want. Lets also be open minded and see where we can go with this. The glass is half full and the door is being held open for us wild trout enthusiasts.

I've known John Arway a long time and I can vouch for the fact he's always been a staunch supporter of wild trout. If only he'd have the support of the majority of commissioners there'd be a lot more he could do that we'd find supportive of wild trout.

Good stuff. Im looking forward to see what becomes of this.

DaveS wrote:

I am confident that once a date and location are set, the Paflyfish community will have a few delegates willing to support the wild trout..

I think there may be more than a few ;-)

Great to hear about this and looking forward to more details.

The thing is everyone that fishes WTS's should be involved in helping to identify them to the Commission and be willing to do some form of protection on the WTS's.

>>I've known John Arway a long time and I can vouch for the fact he's always been a staunch supporter of wild trout. If only he'd have the support of the majority of commissioners there'd be a lot more he could do that we'd find supportive of wild trout.>>

I'm with Dave...

Was anyone else on here at the Trout Summit in 2002?

That covered both wild trout and the hatchery system.

There were some interesting discussions and presentations.

A summit just on wild trout should be more focused.

Good news. Quite the departure from Glade.

This is very encouraging. Thanks for all your hard work, John!

Not to hijack this thread, but the Monocacy and Little Lehigh numbers are....surprising. I do understand the fish density numbers are not the whole story, but the article uses number for comparison to "destination" streams outside PA.

I am convinced PA can become a to tier destination for anglers and their families. We just need to continue to progress towards cleaner cold-water fisheries.

Imagine the positive impact cleaner headwaters will have on the larger, warm-water fisheries...

I found this part interesting:

“…planning a Wild Trout Summit for 2017 where we can focus on wild trout issues much like our forefathers did in 1866. Our streams continue to adapt to the legacy sediments that remain deposited from the uncontrolled erosion in the 19th century.”

Will this topic of legacy sediments be a major focus of the Summit, or discussed to some extent?

Much has been published on legacy sediment in the limestone farmland valley streams, as researched by the folks at Franklin and Marshall College.

But is it considered to also be a widespread and serious problem in the forested freestone streams, such as we find in our state forests and gamelands?

I have not read or heard much on that, but would be interested to read what info and ideas people have on that topic.

I was present for the Trout Summit, and hope to be part of the wild trout summit.

Back