A quick trip to Penns ( and the status quo )

Heberly

Heberly

I made a quick trip to penns today, found the stream to myself. I entered what I consider the transition zone, not only for winter, but also summer, where I feel elk and pine start to lose its some of its thermal effectiveness on the river.

I found the water in ingleby near the weather rock to be quite good, the ice had receded well. Amazingly, I was able to walk the shelf ice for a half mile, instead of the untracked 18" plus inches of snow on the banks.

I think I am the only angler to be fishing the stretch this winter, as I still see my tracks and associated paths from the last 8 weeks.

Things started slow, then after 15 minutes it turned on strong.

My largest was a pair of 18-19's.

About 1/8 mile below ingleby, the ice tightened up. I've never seen bank ice so thick on penns in this area, easily 8 inches thick. I was able to walk all the way to the riffles/pocket water below ingleby without stepping foot on the trail, I walked the ice on the edge all the way down, an amazing thing to do for a guy who has walked that trail hundreds of times in the last few years.

Huge ice sheets the size of trucks started to float down the thalweg, cracking and scraping along the way, air temp was about 41.

Nice pics really good looking brown

Great shots, I really like the second one.

Great pictures Jared, and a really nice outing in early March. The shots are really nice I like how the second one looks as well. I like the looks of those flies too.

Very nice report and pics are awesome.

GenCon

great pics. magazine quality.

Sweet pics! Penn's is on my fishing bucket list!

Thanks all! Penns needs water, but there is easily 18 plus inches of heavy wet snow on the ground, as soon as it warms, things will be super nice.

Nice fish, but you're blowing out the margins again.

Chaz wrote:
Nice fish, but you're blowing out the margins again.

by margins do you mean as in screen margins such as being able to see the entire picture on the screen?

Sorry.

Although, it is 2015, not 1999. Browsers are designed to resize and handle these things.

Both my browser, and my cell phone shrink it accordingly, I have no issues. Consider updating your browser, etc.

I listed them in 1800px so if someone wants them for a screen background, they can enjoy it as such.

I won't the next time. I also didn't see the margin issue in the other thread I posted, haven't looked at it until now.

Great pictures! I absolutely love Penns Creek. I have a cabin right on Penns just down stream from where you was fishing, (down near Cherry Run),. I haven't been able to get a line wet there since last Fall.

No doubt - some gorgeous pics and some great motivation as we hunker down under more snow and winter weather.

(As for the pics, it would be better to post smaller ones - not a big deal in this case. Some threads just get blown up when oversize pics are embedded).

Those are some really nice pictures. And, by the way, your avatar always reminds me of King Crimson's album artwork for "In the Court of the Crimson King," yet that album cover has nothing to do with fish. I find great photos to be one of the hardest parts of fishing. I have learned to be a great fisherman over the years, but photoraphy, now that is a whole other ballfield.

Nice pics and report. What kind of camera are you using?

Back