A question for the rod builders out there

troutfanatic

troutfanatic

Do any of you know of a company that makes full cork rod grips? When I say full, I mean including the reel seat spacer. Think like a Redington Butterstick as an example. I think the low weight Orvis Helios have them too.

I have a small stream rod I am refurbing. I want to put a full cork grip and spacer on it, the type that takes sliding metal rings to afix the reel.

I'm fairly sure I could make the reel seat portion out of cork discs and sand them down, but I am lazy.

Try Ye Olde English Fly Shop at http://yeoldeenglishflyshop.com/ in their shop component section.

Jann's Netcraft has an all cork, one piece,cigar shaped grip with nickel silver sliding bands that will accept an O.D.of the blank from .250 to .380. Price is $ 10.95. The last ring/butt is flared. At that price the quality of the rings may be low and the grain could need filled and sanded. Don't know how far you want to take it. Sometimes they offer low flat rate shipping. RL reel seats on eBay offers mortised spacers with a cap and ring and also spacers with a pocketed cap and ring and dual sliding rings only. (I believe he offers hardware only if you prefer to turn your own spacers). You will need the cork grip however.

Thanks for the assists. This is just a science project that I am trying to do on the cheap. Its a semi restoration and the current handle is not salvageable.

I've used a few of the ones from Jann's Netcraft and never had a problem with them, great grip and seat for the money, perfect for small stream rods.

Another option if you're a ham-handed,knuckle-dragger like me and the cigar-shape doesn't work for you. Try "Mogo's cork for custom rods" on Satans yard sale. He has full-Wells shaped grips,free shipping and is a Penna. merchant. The cork rings available are graded responsibly and are of very good quality. Best luck with your project.

cheers fellas.

And yep, its a 3 weight.

Back