A nice customer service story.

salvelinus

salvelinus

I have a pair of Chota STL Plus wading shoes and Hippies. While fishing, my right ankle bone would get sore and even the skin rubbed open. I thought it was just me until one day my Hippies started to leak. Upon inspection the neoprene had been abraded by the same thing making my ankle sore. I inspected at the boot and saw abrasion on the liner material inside the boot. Definitely not me and the left boot was fine. I've had STLs before and never had a problem.

I contacted Chota and a very nice Customer Service rep emailed me back requesting pictures. After receiving them he replied "yeah they shouldn't be rubbing like that" and asked that I send the boots and Hippies back. Today I received a package with a brand new pair of boots and Hippies. I'm a very happy customer.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Chota. Now I will relate a not so good experience with Simms, as told to me by a friend that I have fly fished with since the mid 70's.

In October I fished with him and he told me his Simms boots started falling apart after one year of usage. They were top of the line. So he sent them back to Simms and they told him they were not properly dried between usage, therefore they would not stand behind the warranty. He did tell me that he kept them in his vehicle between usage. Don't remember if he told Simms that. If he did, perhaps it was a caveat in their warranty. I would be pissed, as he was.

Chota is a great outfit and the owner is a decent guy too.

He will be at the the Lancaster FF Show if you want to thank him in person.

One of my pairs of wading boots are wearing out, will probably buy Chotas to replace them.

Chota hippies are perfect for small stream fishing. I love mine.

Plus 1 for Chotas. GG

I bought a pair of Chota Hippies online a few years ago. Upon arrival I thought they were thin and cheaply made and I had serious doubts as to how long they would last, but boy was I wrong. I beat the hell out of them and they never failed me. One of the best features is how packable they are. I will be taking a pair with me for my through-hike on the Appalachian Trail in two years.

misanthropist wrote:
I bought a pair of Chota Hippies online a few years ago. Upon arrival I thought they were thin and cheaply made and I had serious doubts as to how long they would last, but boy was I wrong. I beat the hell out of them and they never failed me. One of the best features is how packable they are. I will be taking a pair with me for my through-hike on the Appalachian Trail in two years.

I will be happy to take them off your hands now, rather than have you jettisoning them a couple days into your trip. I'm guessing you'll be interested in shaving a few pounds off your pack weight :)

I have said a number of times on this board that Simms' customer service is nowhere near as good as it once was. Damn shame.

Chota Hippies are great for the summer over a pair of shorts. No sweat, and so lightweight.

Salmonoid,

I have made many long distance hiking trips, including the PCT and half of the NCT. I think I can handle a pair of hippies in my pack..

Outsider I think it depends also on how much you fish and how far you walk, hike and wade too. I have g3's wore them hard as hell from rubber is loose but It's from just wear had them over 2 years fish 3-4 times a week.

Hook Jaw,

My friend isn't a "hike in" fisherman. Primarily fishes the Tully or the Letort.

Back