A Modern Dry-Fly Code by Vincent C. Marinaro

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

I just found a copy in good shape. It's an 8th printing from June 1974. I have not had a chance to read it but glanced threw it and it looks very good. Fishing terrestrials is one of my favorites. I am looking forward to sitting down and taking it all in! :-D

WildTigerTrout; A Modern Dry-Fly Code by Vincent Marinaro is incredible important book.
It is a landmark to clever Pennsylvania anglers, the book full of fresh ideas, transcendent standards, concepts, formulated opinions, learning and mostly simply good reading.
It is a landmark of appreciation of angling in PA and understanding the fly-fishing concepts.

I was not even born in this country and most of my lives spent in Manhattan (NYC) but Vincent M is very special to my soul and I’m sorry I missed him when he was still alive…

skybay wrote:
WildTigerTrout; A Modern Dry-Fly Code by Vincent Marinaro is incredible important book.
It is a landmark to clever Pennsylvania anglers, the book full of fresh ideas, transcendent standards, concepts, formulated opinions, learning and mostly simply good reading.
It is a landmark of appreciation of angling in PA and understanding the fly-fishing concepts.

I was not even born in this country and most of my lives spent in Manhattan (NYC) but Vincent M is very special to my soul and I’m sorry I missed him when he was still alive…
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to read it. I just have to find time. ;-)

I have the book. While very informative in my opinion it is far from a literary masterpiece. I have a lot of fly fishing related books that I read over and over. This isn't one of them.

Unlike McSneek, this is one I do re-read frequently. If you read it and Marinaro's "In the Ring of the Rise," you'll hit most of the important flies that hatch on limestone and limestone-influenced streams. Unlike McSneek, I thoroughly enjoy Marinaro's writing style and find "Dry Fly Code" and "Ring of Rise" to be nicely written and easy to read.

I think "A Modern Dry Fly Code" is the best fly-fishing book written by a PA author -- and that's saying something considering all of the other wonderful books written by Pennsylvania flyfishers. I encourage you to read and re-read it.

So how many of you are tying jassids with jungle cock feathers or using porcupine quills for your green drake bodies? Can you buy horse mane in the local shops?

For the first 5 years I was pretty bitter at the snobby-ness of fly fisherman and resorted to figuring it out on my own by reading classics and watching videos...this was one of the books. Looks like it time for a reread

Surprised to hear a dissenting opinion about this.
It was one of the first FF books I bought, and I really like his writing style. Have reread it many times.
I would agree though, that the flies are kinda outdated.
But, hey - it was written 65 years ago now, I believe

I think it's a terrific book.

Some of the fly patterns aren't very practical. But there are plenty of fly pattern books, and plenty of fly pattern info on the interwebs.

It's a terrific book for many other reasons. The writing is very good. And visually it's very well done. The photos and the graphic design. I really like the drawings.

The limestone streams of the Cumberland Valley have legendary status. Falling Spring, Big Spring, and especially the Letort.

This book is one of the main reasons those streams have that kind of legendary status.

TB: One could argue that Fox was equally influential, but I believe "A Modern Dry Fly Code," and the praise it received from later writers, is the primary reason these streams and the Yellow Breeches are legendary.

Great book. What really gets me though is everyone praises these two for all they have done, but if you read between the lines they also did a good amount of damage to particular streams.

I guess sometimes to do something good you have to make mistakes.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
Great book. What really gets me though is everyone praises these two for all they have done, but if you read between the lines they also did a good amount of damage to particular streams.

How so?

Back