a little alaskan love!

A

AkDan76

just a little...

After weeks of work and running for salmon..the call came for another epic trout day. The trib fished was nothing short of epic in every sense. Extreme access, extreme bears (wish I had taken pics of the sign everywhere!) fortunately they didn't collect their toll this day, and of course epic trout!

There are many rivers like this one but this one is unique...

We fished BEADS BEADS BEADS...ok ok and some steak flies. Big honking meaty dolly lamas and giant sculpins. Theyd' come up out the brush and whack them hard!

Before some of the nay sayers jump on beads...I will tell you this, I have some non bead egg flies and theirs one trait I hate about them. These fish will inhale them to the point you end up injuring a pile of fish compared to 'pegging' beads. When done right this is extremely effective, and extremely good for the fish! when done wrong, it can be bad! No more bad than a dolly lama crushed mid body with hook in the face. Go ahead and bash I don't give a rats! but I will tell you beads work and work well in more than just getting hits and catching fish!

Unfortunately I was talked out of bringing some gear and in it I managed to toss the only box of mice..MICE grrr! I wasn't happy, these fish were the type willing to pounce. I guess I should be thankfully I remembered the TP this time. Devils club on the hiney is...well un imaginable lol

Don't mind the last pic, I was beyond beat (week of 12's followed by a night of driving, 3 hours of sleep and a full day of hiking. I was down right beat to the point I couldn't hardly muster a smile LOL!

Pics to come, im having some issues trying to post direct from the cell! Gonna rack out for night!

Buddy putting the heat to his 6wt.

The exhaustion look is me...literally exhausted! 4 long days at work, all night drive, and a long hike to get here. Worth every second of it!

Attachments

• IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
My buddy home on leave....

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 5
Very nice - thanks for posting the pics. I'm sure catching rainbows like that had to be like a jolt of caffeine to your tired body.

I used to fish from dawn to dusk, but this time of year in Alaska, that would probably be tiring. I'm curious what time of day or night these pictures were taken.

Jack they were throughout the day, we fished from 7am-10:30pm. Drove back home that night as well. We still have enough light to fish at night, though thats starting to change pretty quick. This is not a river i care to play on at night! It has an un imaginable amount of bears!

Im hoping to beat the push of salmon showing up and not forget the mice box this time lol! Once the rest of the salmon show they get pretty snotty.... Beads or flesh and generally beads is all they will take.

Its been a wide open summer! 2000 mile trips in 3-4 days per weekends been the norm. I hate to say it, 8 weeks or so its over for the most part. My gardens looking like a jungle lol!

Great story and pictures, thanks for posting!

What is the river name? I'm still planning to be at Delta Junction in August. I'll give you a shout once my orders are cut.

Thanks for sharing the love AKDan - enjoyed it.

millser, do that. akdan76@yahoo.com

I'll have the raft ready for a silver/trout weekend trip, let me know the dates. Its worth it!!! It is however a different stream!

I'm swapping to weekend nights sat night and have an 8 day break the end of august, I'll have to check dates. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, minus weather...or your tolerance for bears.....did I say there was a LOT of bears on this river lol. The float isn't bad bear wise, the other two, you'll likely see one at a minimum. Figure everything but the silvers have run and mostly died off.....rivers will stink and the bears will be feasting, as are the bows!

If you're going to do trout, bring flesh flies size 8 in a light pinkish color or the typical ginger with a nub of shell pink marabou pinched off for a tail...some meaty sculpins or streamers in black/olive or both. I'm running 0x tapered to 8lb fluro for the trout. straight 12 lbs fluro for salmon. There is no 20's here for anything! You already know the DCW grayling, but I like BWO's and Griffiths size 16, troth caddis and a white/cream parachute for a last ditch. They'll take most nymphs you put in their face.

I've got you covered on beads lol. You'll want some form of indicator I prefer thingys. I wont have much time to tie before you get here I don't believe.

Salmon in particular silvers....chartreuse bunnies, fuchsia bunnies, and any kind of pink or pink and light orange or any combo of said colors, Weighted and un weighted. Also tie the similar colors in some marabou flies, in particular light pink, no need to weight, these are for slower water spots.

I prefer 1/0 or 2/0 gamakatsu t10's. you can go down to 1's or 2's. Silvers and be kinda prissy at times. Gamakatsu really outdid themselves with this hook!

Nice report Dan! One of these days I will make a trip north!

I already shared this documentary with you but for others this is on topic. Cast Alaska

Jon,

You say when i will be ready! Looking forward to it!

I will see you in dec.

D

Millsertime,

Any word on dates and schedule?

I'm loaded and headed out tomorrow for a day or two of trout mania again.

silvers are trickling in, humpies are back en force (odd for an odd year) and the beastly chums are really to rip my gear apart. Man they are a blast!

Trout are lined up behind the spawning/dying kings. Time to beat feet!

AkDan,

I sent you an email this morning with the dates I'll be there.

Thanks AKDan for the info. A couple of these were flossed from the hole you emailed me about. Smoked them for cheaper/easier transportation going home. Sat around the smoker and drank beer for several hours.

Maybe my orders will allow for more free time next year and we can take that marathon drive/fish together for big bows.

Attachments

• 20150816_150343.jpg
    20150816_150343.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 3
AkDan76 wrote:
Go ahead and bash I don't give a rats! but I will tell you beads work and work well in more than just getting hits and catching fish!

I'd love to, but don't know enough about it. On the other hand, [d]strike indicators[/d] bobbers I can bash with the best of them. LOL!

Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Dan, I'm trying to get up to Alaska next July, would you mind if I emailed you a few ?s ?

Back