A General Thank You!

J

JasonC

To all who put up with my incessant questioning which led me to explore a few fantastic streams today. I landed my first brook trout ever and some browns on my first wild trout fly fishing trip. Again, all credit is due to you guys, thanks again!

Is there anyway to simulate casting in such tight quarters at home? Does anyone know of some good ways to practice that? Besides the general sucking at fly fishing, the casting was definitely the toughest part for me. Maybe I shouldn’t say toughest as my presentation sucked as well, and so did my hook setting. I think I mistaken about a hundred rocks for bites.

Walk around the neighborhood looking for trees and shrubs and tru casting around those.

That’s actually a pretty good idea. I have several parks within blocks of my house that I can get in between trees and bushes and all and do that, good thinking! Wonder what the neighbors will think...

Get the kids game " gone fishin " and place it between the shrubs, turn on and cast to it. That or a box of fish stix.
It will aid in the insanity look.

Ever walk around the not-so-touristy parts of Philly? Casting to make believe fish through foliage will seem tame compared to some other things you might see.

Oh yeah used to "visit" Philly 3 times a week. I know all too well.
Touche

If you want to practice casting just go fishing. That may sound like a lame answer but the more you use the rod the better you will become. It doesn't matter if you're in wide open places and casting into a big river. You will gain mastery over the tool and you'll be better next time in tight quarters etc.

This is a good forum with a lot of great people.

jifigz wrote:
If you want to practice casting just go fishing. That may sound like a lame answer but the more you use the rod the better you will become. It doesn't matter if you're in wide open places and casting into a big river. You will gain mastery over the tool and you'll be better next time in tight quarters etc.

This is a good forum with a lot of great people.

^ me too.

I actually fish a stream or river and after I "fish it out" I'll tell myself it's time to practice and not worry about catching a fish.

So I try to cast around that tree or over that rock or cast under those branches, make a booming cast across the river and try to mend it out, etc.

Practice is definitely most valuable being on the water and in moving water in actually situations. You can't really practice your mends or roll casts on dry land, plus casting while wading in the water and making pickups from the water are also different than on the grass.

And every so often, I'll actually catch a fish we making those stupid type casts, but most times I end up wrapping my line around a tree.... :oops:

Practicing casting on a lawn is also very beneficial.

Practice the basic, standard fly casting. You'll learn the timing until it become second nature.

But also practice the following, which are very useful even on medium sized streams like Spring Creek, but are almost mandatory to fish small forested streams:

Backhand casting. Bring your arm across the body, and cast on your offhand side.

Sidearm casting. Instead of holding the rod near vertical as in standard casting, cast with the rod horizontal.

Sidearm backhand casting. Combine the two. Casting sidearm on your offhand side.

These are not "trick" casts or highly specialized casts. They are basics, fundamentals.

Once you learn them, fly fishing will become much easier on small streams, but also on medium sized ones.

I am with jfigz. Go fishing as much as you can. Try different types of waters, challenge yourself and be prepared to fail. That makes the successes even more sweet! Find a mentor too. I am in the Philly suburbs and fish a lot, so PM me sometime.

Darby creek still has fish cant be that far from you, Like wise with Chester creek also go to ridley state park and find an open field most church parking lots are longer than most casts you will make.

Best way I believe you work on casting is to just go fish. Also I'm a believer in working on short and mid range casts. Those long casts look cool, but in most situations are not needed. I've seen people spool a reel like it's nothing, but struggle to accurately hit a riser at 30tt. Also for close quarters roll casting is your friend, and some people can really throw a roll cast.

JasonC wrote:
That’s actually a pretty good idea. I have several parks within blocks of my house that I can get in between trees and bushes and all and do that, good thinking! Wonder what the neighbors will think...

Who cares what they think.

I recommend carrying on a conversation with yourself while doing this so people leave you alone.

Practice casting from in your garage. Make short casts inside, side arm over head bow and arrow. Also from inside try casting with garage door at different levels casting to targets outside. Can also cast out doorway.

Get creative. The garage really makes you pay attention to back casts, overhead and other obstacles.

In addition to the above suggestions- there are lots of dvd’s out there

Get them at the library for free.

Maybe pick up something- l always remember a casting stroke like flicking paint off the end of a paint brush line from Joe H. And his speed up and squeeze!!!!

Jason - Like others have said, go out and fish!

I know that Valley is on your radar and IMO that’s a great place to practice casting around obstacles, and catch some fish. Certain sections of that stream are perfect for what you are saying. Check out the Valley Creek park section, downstream from 29, for a fun casting obstacle course!

I’ve scoured that park and the preserve as well and both look like very tight casting quarters...will definitely test my skills for sure! Only thing is, the fish are spooked quite easily so I don’t know if I’d be able to distinguish if I’m getting skunked from my sucky casting or overall suckiness at fly fishing in general.

Back