A General Hackle Question

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Ok - so I am finally giving up on using these 15 year old hackles, it is really starting to be a pain in the a. So - I have found some hackles at pretty decent prices here:

http://www.thornesmanufacturing.com/index.php?Page=Catalogue&Cat=73

But my question is , other than the colors (grizzly, white, and brown are what I'm going to order) -- which ones should I get for the general dry fly patterns. I was looking at the Howards Hackle Grade 3 Natural Saddle --

They are substantially cheaper than the Howards Hackle Grade 3 Dyed Saddle, is this because the dyed ones colors are more vibrant? Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Any other sites or places you guys get your hackle are welcome as well!

there are several versions of THESE out there...they are the best deal for someone who needs certain colors in certain sizes and little waste. BTW griz, brn, dun, blk and white...

HEREis another way to get a variety...

awesome tom, thanks for the heads up on the whiting hackle

hook & hackle has the 100 packs for 13, while cabelas has it for 18, will order form H&H

have you ever tried those metz packs? estimated amount of flies per package?

Once I used Whitings hackle I haven't used anything else for dries. Just so much better then Metz and the other companies. I've tried both Metz and Whitings and a few other companies and Whitings is just so much easier to work with and better quality of feathers if you ask me.

bigjohn: I'm sold -- I'm gonna order the Whiting

Brown and White for first order? Thats what I'm thinkin -- I may go grizzly instead of white though... hmmm

Those Whiting 100 backs are all I use anymore, they're perfect and you will at at least 100 flies out of one package.

nice -- i was a little intimidated on getting hackle for the first time because there are so many -- but this is just what I was looking for and they will last me a lonnnng time

When Cabela's ran their last 30% off sale, i bought their housebrand necks in black, white, and red to give me the best coverage of anything I might need. They didn't have a house brand grizzly, so I bought a higher grade Whiting (I think it was actually a platinum) half...

If it wasn't on sale, I'd never bought it.

And I'm sold. Its so much nicer than the Cabela's branded necks. I would never spring for their high grade again, but I'll take their lowest/tyers' grade as being better than the house brand.

I've heard nothing but good about the 100 packs; but at this point am opting out. Buying a full neck gives me alot of coverage for things I might decide to try or experimenting, whereas the 100 pack is going to give me consistently the same thing. When I need pluck those necks thin in the regions I regularly use, I'll buy 100 packs, but for my opening foray, I'll stick with with the full necks.

In addition to black, white, rust and grizzly, it would be nice to have a dun.

gfen wrote:
Buying a full neck gives me alot of coverage for things I might decide to try or experimenting, whereas the 100 pack is going to give me consistently the same thing. When I need pluck those necks thin in the regions I regularly use, I'll buy 100 packs, but for my opening foray, I'll stick with with the full necks.

That's exactly what I do.

Cabelas ofen runs great deals on whiting in the bargain cave, some times like half off. Last time they had 100's for less than $10. Of course, colors and size are limited, but they are clearance items.

another suggestion Ernie is to find someone else who ties and buy a full hackle and split it with them... will lower your cost.

I have some cheap necks, and some decent ones... spend the extra money lol.

I bet that someone would split some hackle at the jam. Not me, but I'm sure someone would. The feathered hook is right down the street.

Ern.........don't mail order hackle, most shops will let you look at necks or half necks (i mean take it out and look) you could probably write a book on just hackle, but buy what you get to look at and then you know you'll get what you want for whatever application you need. Keough is another good supplier and not too pricey.

The 2 main hackle colors I use are dun and ginger. I use them for 90 per cent of my flies
As for quality, I buy #3 necks, and my flies work and float fine.
The last neck I bought cost me $36 at FFP in sta college.
I have a problem spending more money for #2 and #1 necks

i went to the NJ show this past jan. i bought several hackle from the collins farm. for the price and selection he has, you cant beat it.

jayL wrote:
I bet that someone would split some hackle at the jam. Not me, but I'm sure someone would. The feathered hook is right down the street.

jay: now theres an idea

So you guys buy the strands am I correct cause I am wondering if you buy the strands or the whole neck? Which is better?

If you're serious about tying, I recommend getting the whole neck.
Be cheaper in the long run IMO

OK that was what I was wondering cause looking at cabelas catalog they had the necks and the strands and didnt know which one was the one to get.

I have built up a collection of the Whiting 100 packs over time. They are not cheap, by the time you get all the sizes. But they tie very well, and fast also. I also have some collins necks.

Main colors, Grizzley, Dark Dun, Light Dun. That gets me pretty far....

Back