A frog in his throat?

Chaz

Chaz

I caught a nice 10 inch brookie this morning after work that appeared to have a frog in his gut. I saw this 1 other time along a AMD stream in Schuylkill Cty. where a brookie actually went up on the bank to grab a frog. Anyone else ever see this?

i have seen brookies attach frogs before. i belive if a brookie was big enough it would try to eat me. they eat everything they can fit in thier mouth.

I've never seen one go up on a bank to get a frog although I've heard of bass and muskies doing this to other prey species. I have had a couple trout regurgitate mice. Sal is right - they'll eat anything that fits in their mouth. A ten inch brookie has a large mouth compared to browns or bows.

I caught a 23" brown trout on Sunday morning on Penns Creek. She was sacrificed for my parents dinner because he was a holdover with a clipped tail. When my dad checked the stomach contents it contained three 3" long minnows, one 6" long trout and a small frog.

Once while I was fish a small stream near home, I caught an extremly fat 9" brookie with one 6 1/4 inches in its mouth with only the tail visibable in its mouth. I was able to pull it out and I measured both.
~5footfenwick

I found him inside of a VERY large trout once:

Froggy.jpg

:-D

its not hard for a trout to eat a picture, especially if its rooled up like a minnow. :-D

bamboozle that made me laugh out loud.

Trout are carnivorous. They like Froggy, but not Alfalfa or Buckwheat.

lol i got the joke but u didnt get mine. suppose your not old enough yet!

I once caught a 6 inch brook trout on a 5 inch bass plug. He got the entire treble in his mouth, too. I was fishing in the Clarion river at the time with spinning gear, right in Cook Forest. This was nearly 30 years ago. Well, that year (or the year before), they dumped 3/4 of a million brook trout fingerlings in that river. I don't remember why, but it may have been a problem at a hatchery, so they dumped them instead of letting them die. These were definitely brook trout, not the browns that were stocked for several years. Anyway, those pesky brook trout wouldn't leave anything alone, and swallowed darn near everything they could swallow. So I figured I'd "match the hatch" and try to catch anything that might be feeding on these trout. I have a jointed rebel minnow painted up like a brown trout. I figured close enough. It is what I had. I still caught a brook trout. Those bass were well fed that year. So were the raccoons. There were numerous dead trout at the bottom of the river at every pull-off where people fished. It was truly a sad sight.

Dave, if there is one thing brookies like it's other fish, I use a brown trout streamer sometimes when I fish brookie streams, especially if it's rainy and the water has a little color, they love brown trout streamers.
And another thing, if fiosh are the only thing brookies have to eat then guess what, they are very hard to catch on anything but a streamer. I know several AMD streams like this.

Chaz

I 100% agree with your previous post, I have noticed this same type of pattern. I think in many brookie streams the forage can vary greatly, and there by limit your sucess on a fly atempting to imitate a non-existant food source. I have noticed on streams with good minnow populations ,chubs, red finn's etc. that you can really vary your streamer approch. white buggers, BND, you can even get away with crazy stuff etc. I have also found that these flies seem much less effective on the colder freestoners where the only food base is bugs and other trout. Like you said, a little trout imitation usually will work much better than a minnow imitation.

One thing I due almost religiously now, is when I get to a creek, I will spend my first 5 minutes flipping rocks, basically looking to get a grasp of possible flies. it will tell you color and size of nymphs, also if crayfish, or minnows are present. I have found taking the little bit of extra time to do this really helps my confidence level when I put on a fly that is the mirror image of some sort of forage I just found present in the creek.
~5footfenwick

5foot, I also agree.

But I have to call you out on that rock flipping. That is altering the stream and is clearly a violation. I'm turning you in!!! ;-)

FarmerDave, All rocks are released back to their original holding spot unharmed. The trick is to not struggle with the rock too long, this puts added stress on the flyfisherman, also try to keep the rock in the water if at all possible. Bait anglers should never attempt to flip rocks for the mortality rate can be 10 fold that of a flyfisherman flipping the same rocks.
~5footfenwick

P.S. FarmerDave I'm gonna remember this when we are fishing some day, don't expect me to tell you what I see under those rocks. :-D

Give a man a rock and he will go hungry, teach a man to fliprocks and he will still be hungry, but probably catch more trout.

just kidding in all serious flipping rocks isn't exactly good for the stream so don't do it, all rocks were ether flipped by professionals or in the presence of professionals.

Friends don't let friends flip rocks.

If you find a body under one of those rocks, it means Tim Murphy was probably fishing there. :-D

Just say"NO"!

Did you make sure all the bugs were placed back in their original places on the rocks?

pennsangler Glad to hear that you put a stop to the frog slaughter on Penns by keeping that 23 in. brown. Combined wild and stocked there used to be 7 trout that large in the streams of PA. Now there are 6.

Back