A Fly Rod of Your Own (John Gierach)

R

rrt

This is Gierach's latest collection of his articles from FR&R and other magazines. As with his most recent books, this is mainly a compilation of fishing trips he has taken to Labrador and elsewhere. Most pieces are similar, with Gierach meeting someone and they then go to "X" stream and catch some fish.
Gierach's writing is good, and if you like travel pieces and Gierach's writing style, you will probably enjoy this book. You can spread the reading out over a number of evenings. Do not expect it to be the quality of Gierach's early books (eg. Rat Lake), though.
I think you can find it as cheap as $12.75 plus $3.99 mailing on the Internet, though I used my wife's Barnes and Noble discount to get it almost this cheaply.
Rating? I'd give it about a 3 out of 5, mainly because it is nicely written.

I have just finished it. Its Gierach- but more emphasis on float planes and far away trips. It's an evolution. I enjoyed it but I have to agree with rrt- I enjoyed less than his other books. And It was free at the library. I have not bought a fly fishing book in years - except Trout boomers book.

Back