A fish story

klingy

klingy

I’m on a small spring creek this morning. I only have a couple hours to fish, so I thought I’d stick close to home. I have fished this stream too many times to count, and have seen some monsters. I even hooked up with one a couple years ago that would have been my personal best, but it broke me off when it dove into a weedbed. What were the chances that that same fish is in the same spot?

Well I thought I’d start at the hole where I had hook that beast before. A nice hole tucked back under an overhanging tree. A slippery elm held the bank and the current cut under its roots. I decided on a hopper with a short size 16 pt dropper. First cast. The line straightens, and I just feel weight. Then it moves. I keep pressure on and am able to work it toward the back of the pool. Same. damn. fish.

A fish this size has all of the control. It goes upstream, you go upstream. It goes down, you go down. This thing just held the bottom and did not want to budge. I was ok with that, I would just keep nice steady pressure. As I start to feel pretty good about the situation, it runs forward as if this is the first time it realized the gravity of the situation. My hopper hangs up on a bunch of grass, and my line goes limp. The fish hangs in the light for a second, then slides back up into the bank under the tree. It is gone.

A deep breath. That is twice now that he’s beaten me, but I know where he lives, and what he likes to eat :)

A small consolation was that in the next hole I was able to land his little brother. A great fish in its own right, but compared to my now nemesis, a small fry. I will be back.

Attachments

• 104F537B-8104-43C5-BE71-97DF30FCAAC9.jpeg
    104F537B-8104-43C5-BE71-97DF30FCAAC9.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 7
Great story and great fish!

Wow....great story.

His sibling is really nice, big brother must be a real bruiser.

You now have a mission to complete this season.

You know where he lives....good luck.

Dang Klingy, this is your year!

If I were you I'd buy some lottery tickets. You're on a heck of a streak. Congrats!

Dam, if that is "the little brother" I cant imagine what big bro looks like. I would be out there every day on a mission. Congrats on a nice catch and good luck when you go again.

Not an original line but still very appropriate- haunted by waters.

You've made some quality posts recently. I haven't even really been able to fish. I'm mildly jealous. Congrats and a nice story. You'll get that fish.

Great story Klingy! Like the others have said youre on a hot streak congrats and good luck on that nemesis of yours!

Nice fish; standing by for pics of the big brother.

Friday morning. Round three (hopefully!). We’ll see how it goes.

Got there around 6:30 today. Warm morning. Sticky. Hazy sun. Crept up to the hole. Flip in the hopper dropper. A good landing. The hopper sinks. I set. Madness ensues. A minute later, he’s in the net. While not my PB, definitely a memorable fish. I’m convinced he might not be the fish I hooked the other day. I guess there’s only one way to find out :)

Attachments

• 4D2F0D33-34BD-48AE-8283-2268347BE698.jpeg
    4D2F0D33-34BD-48AE-8283-2268347BE698.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 3
  • 6B065845-8491-42E3-BD38-014C58126E7B.jpeg
    6B065845-8491-42E3-BD38-014C58126E7B.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1
  • D6DF0D6C-79A6-4EB0-9EDA-F0D0B197F698.jpeg
    D6DF0D6C-79A6-4EB0-9EDA-F0D0B197F698.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1
Looking pretty sweet Klingy.... waiting for Fish Story III. If the above fish doesnt rule that hole I would love to see what does. Good luck

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.... Great fish and great story!

Back