DSCF1323.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF1326.JPG
    DSCF1326.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1333.JPG
    DSCF1333.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 4
I just can't bring myself to tie Hendrickson imitations with wood duck wings. There is a logical side of me that says "don't" do it", even though those patterns are time tested.

That's the style I have the Vetrans from the Erie VA tying class trying (patiently) to master.
Upright/divided with wooduck and mallard. It's such a simple proccess when I do it but I'm finding it very difficult to teach.
I hoping that hackle tip wings will go a lot smoother.

BradFromPotter wrote:
outsider wrote:
I just can't bring myself to tie Hendrickson imitations with wood duck wings. There is a logical side of me that says "don't" do it", even though those patterns are time tested.

Why??

I'm with outsider on this. Wood duck wings don't look like the wings on a hendrickson dun.

They're dun/dark dun in color, and not speckled.

To each his own, I guess.

Attachments

• hendrickson dun 3.jpg
    hendrickson dun 3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
I really like the dubbing color for the hendrickson, spot on!

I agree and we all know the wing color on a hendrickson is more dun color and I tie them that way. But I will have to say there is something magical about tying with wood duck for wings. Just tying the classic flies in the style they were intended just makes me feel good. Brings me back to my roots. The original catskill type patterns should not be forgotten. I also think they are a great tying lesson which all tiers should do at least once.

GenCon

I learned the Hendrickson recipe as using bronzed mallard flank and used it exclusively.

I save Wood Duck for Light Cahill recipes/variants.

Don't think I can ever recall buying any bronzed mallard flank - I used to hunt ducks regularly - but for color palatte, it matches well with a good dark rusty dun hackle and black thread.

For body dubbing I prefer to select from raccoon underbody. I've gotten used to it and it dubs tight and strong and accepts floatants very well and naturally comes in a fairly wide variety of shades - from pale to almost black. It works with the Hendrickson dry sizes I used - 14 and 12 regular shank.

I use poly dub because its water proof and I don't need floatant..

With you sandfly using poly dub for most dry flies. Your Hendrickson male dun color is as perfect as it gets.

Back