a few caddis attempts

D

DJBerg

so this is what i found the other night.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

this is my version of a dry, and the reason i say my is i wrapped the hook in foam, and the whole body is made of antron seemed like a nice black/green flash type dubbin stuff(not sure if thats what it's actually used for but seemed like a good idea to me). the only thing i want to change is getting a darker feather for the wing.

and an emerger i found some where on google.

what do ya think?

Nice flies, but here is a tip for imitating caddis:
Flip the natural caddis over and look at the size of the abdomen, thorax and head. Measure that length for your hook size. The wings usually drape over the abdomen at least another (sometimes two) hook sizes. Most adult caddis patterns are tied on a hook that is too long, accounting for the wing length as the size of the fly.
Examples:
Grannom Caddis adult - size 16 dry fly hook.
IMGP1781_zps702a75ff.jpg

Emerging pupae are usually appear way shorter than the adults for this reason, too. Sein some during a blizzard and really compare their size to the hook you plan to use. Also, the wing bud comes from the side of the thorax, and not off of the top.

Grannom Caddis pupae - size 16 hook.
IMGP1785_zpsb56826cf.jpg

These may not be important for most fish, but these subtle differences can make or break your chance at a large steadily rising fish.

My $.02

Those are both nice flys DJ! Gutcutter is right about the wings on the natural being much longer than the body. Another odd thing about caddis is that there is little to no taper to the abdomen,and it is quite short relative to the thorax. Given the success of patterns like the EHC and CDC and elk, I can't imagine it matters much. But you never know when a bit of realism might give you an edge. I have been tying my no-hackle EHC on light wire scud hooks which shortens the body and gives a nice low profile. It has been working really well so far, but that might have more to do with it being a pseudo-emerger than have anything to do with the body length/shape.
Let us know how those flys fish!
Mike.

NICE LOOKING FLIES there folks.......those will ALL get the job done for sure. I like the double wing on that one , i thought i had a little secret there 'cause i tie those double wingers too and they work and also will float just a little longer.

back to the vice! thanks guys!!!

Back