A Conversation with Gary Borger and Fishing the Film - Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to encourage you put a smile on someone's face this year and make plans to take someone important to you fly-fishing.

nice post Dave and especially the last sentence. I promise to d exactly that, both of that.

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
rudeone
I think that this is an awesome post. I have felt this exact same way about my son and taking him on his first fly-fishing excursion. He is only 9 and I just got him his very first set of waders and boots. The expression on his face and in his eyes said it all. I thought maybe he was too young but after reading some of the posts about taking kids FFing, I thought to myself, I'm doing it, primarily because no one did this for me when I was his age. I might even consider taking the entire family so they can understand why I love this sport so much.

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound
Great post Dave.That will be the best investment in time you'll ever make.

Last edited:
Tups
Good message and timely. I wil be taking my kids to check out the Muddy Creek TU incubator boxes this afternoon. Hopefully we will find some fry hanging around. Thanks again to Maurice and MCTU for making this possible.

Last edited:
R
the season approaching will be a water shed in my father and I`s relationship ,He` battled cancer for 5 plus years and is slowing up at a rather moderate rate.you may say where is this going,well Id` like to plan a farewell tour of sorts to his old haunts Marvin Creek,The Oswayo,Potato CreekThe Alleghney, To name a few. These streams he fished mainly as young boy with his freind Melvin Huffman and Melvins dad Buck.The Fishing Gods will need to be on my side and a whole lot of luck

Last edited:
DaveKile
rcbeck best of luck bringing that together. Sounds like nice waters to make a return.

Last edited:
skybay
"Once again, the computer graphics were pretty good. In the movie Jeff Bridges is reunited with his son after 22 years. "

In 1982 I went to see Tron and I love it!
I thought nothing better could be done, This also was a time when I used hooks #2 or bigger!

Today I went to see Tron Legacy for the pure effects and there are planty of them, maybe 95% of the movie content.
Yes, Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn) is there but if you like him a lot go and see True Grit.

TRON Legacy
Correct me if I’m wrong simply amazing!

http://disney.go.com/tron/

Last edited:
DaveKile
ftf.jpg
Gary Borger provides extensive ideas on how to fish the surface of the water and just below in "Fishing the Film." He explores what brings trout to the film zone and why you need to really understand what is going on in that space.

"So, the question becomes, with all the food available on the bottom why would trout ever come to the surface to feed?...There only can be one answer: there's more food that's easier to catch at the film."

Further examination of feeding in the film Gary reveals traits of several different types of rise forms. Bulges, tails, fins and other rises are all indicators of very specific feed behavior. These feeding characteristics offer better insight to specific activity below the surface.

I was not only impressed with how much coverage Gary provides with the world just below the surface, but also sharing fly fishing tactics that bring success, too. Gary focusses on an aspect of casting that matches the water flow and more importantly that does not produce drag. It is chapters like this that make it a book for beginners and experienced anglers a like.

"Fishing the Film" is a book I will be keeping close by for quite a while. Many wonderful ideas to explore and try out.

Fishing the Film is the first in a series of twenty books Gary is putting together. Further books are to be a hit as well. Jason Borger provides an excellent set of illustrations throughout the book.

To purchase Fishing the Film you can go to Gary Borger's page here.
You can find out more about Gary Borger at his blog.
More from Jason Borger can be found on his blog.

nimrod
Lots of great information I intendto use both here and on my trip our West later this year. I'm anxious to try his stillwater tactics on Trout Lake.

Last edited:
nimrod
Lots of great information I intendto use both here and on my trip our West later this year. I'm anxious to try his stillwater tactics on Trout Lake.

Last edited:
nimrod

Last edited:
franklin
I purchased the book a week ago and am about 1/3 of the way through it. So far on a scale of 0 to 5, with 3 being nice to have and 5 being a must have, I rate it about a 4. I reserve the right to change my opinion after I've read and digested the entire book.

While several of the sections are a rehash of topics I've already read in other books there are enough tidbits of interesting details sprinkled through to make it worth a read. For instance, in the section on how trout see and optical effects from the perspective of the underwater world Gary reminds us that much of the underside of the water appears mirrored to the trout. Flies moving by in that space can appear to have a double image or even just a single inverted mirrored image as the real image may be obscured. In some of these cases the trout may strike the mirror image and miss the actual fly completely. This may explain some of the misses. It will certainly explain mine from now on!

Throughout the book Gary mentions various fly patterns. I've found many of these on his blog site, the link is at the end of Dave's article.

I'll update my thoughts once I finish reading the book.

Last edited:
franklin
I purchased the book a week ago and am about 1/3 of the way through it. So far on a scale of 0 to 5, with 3 being nice to have and 5 being a must have, I rate it about a 4. I reserve the right to change my opinion after I've read and digested the entire book.

While several of the sections are a rehash of topics I've already read in other books there are enough tidbits of interesting details sprinkled through to make it worth a read. For instance, in the section on how trout see and optical effects from the perspective of the underwater world Gary reminds us that much of the underside of the water appears mirrored to the trout. Flies moving by in that space can appear to have a double image or even just a single inverted mirrored image as the real image may be obscured. In some of these cases the trout may strike the mirror image and miss the actual fly completely. This may explain some of the misses. It will certainly explain mine from now on!

Throughout the book Gary mentions various fly patterns. I've found many of these on his blog site, the link is at the end of Dave's article.

Last edited:
franklin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back