A confession...

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

A few of my friends apparently think this makes me insane, but here it goes:

I rarely tie, fish, or carry Lefty's Deceiver. I use quite a few Half-and-Halfs, but very rarely a full-on deceiver.

I don't use 'em either.

You don't have to use the best known basic flies (obviously) to be successful and enjoy the sport. I don't use Muddler Minnows either and rarely a Wooly Bugger. I do use a lot of Clouser Minnows (including variations of the Clouser that are similar to Muddlers). Flies of this sort are so basic that many cross variations are fun to experiment with.
To each his own.

what's wrong with you? you don't know what you have been missing. ok joking aside if you catch fish without it why does it matter. what are you fishing for? I can say I do tie them and made some really nice pink ones that I am dying to try out on weakies this spring and summer but have had little success on it for stripers and blues.

the one fly that goes across the board everyone should carry is a clouser in different colors and sizes. if you don't have them then you are missing out on fish.

mostly freshwater bass and pike, but I fish the salt as much as possible (admittedly only 2-3 times a year). I tied up a few Deceivers for a trip to Lake Erie in May, but when I want a bigger baitfish pattern it's usually the Clouser Half and Half.

I have tied Deceivers, Clousers and Half and Halfs. Out of the three the one I fish the least is the Deceiver. I remember while carp fishing last summer I saw a school of baitfish breaking the surface. I tied on one of Lefty's Deceivers and cast in that area and smashed a big old Largemouth that was chasing the baitfish. Probably the only fish I caught on the Deceiver all last year. Clousers definitely get the nod from me before the deceiver. I think it is a confidence thing.

I'm guilty of the same. I've always been a fan of unweighted flies...how they swim always seemed more appealing (to me at least). Plus I love tying and I'm always looking for something new (and usually much more complicated) to try out.

When deep down, I know the answer to catching more fish is probably a chart/white clouser.

I like a Clouser deep minnow all of the time. Honestly, the fly is amazing. It catches everything. I'll use deceivers when I'm fishing a sink tip or full intermediate line. I like half n halfs when I want a bigger profile. All proven patterns.

turkey nailed it - they fish better on sunken lines. even on a clear intermediate line they fish too high especially on the swing.

they are too bulky, too material intensive and can be difficult to cast

no disrespect to lefty but i think they've had their day - hi-tyes, flatwings, half an halfs are much more effective IMHO.

Fishidiot wrote:
I don't use 'em either.

You don't have to use the best known basic flies (obviously) to be successful and enjoy the sport. I don't use Muddler Minnows either and rarely a Wooly Bugger. I do use a lot of Clouser Minnows (including variations of the Clouser that are similar to Muddlers). Flies of this sort are so basic that many cross variations are fun to experiment with.
To each his own.

+1,2,3,4

Not much for deceivers, prefer synthetics like geno baby angel style
Not much for muddlers, prefer flies with rabbit, same for buggers
Clousers are a go, at least the tying style and many materials

Back